cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup advise to list backedup images with size on MSDP disk pool

coolsuny
Level 3

Hi All,

We have a Veritas NetBackup 8.0 domain with muliple MSDPs,  currently disk usage on one of our disk pools  - MSDP (5230 Appliance) has crossed threshold (>86% full), having added a new disk shelf recently few months ago.

Customer is now looking for a report for last two months showing list of backup images stored on this disk pool, date of backup, along with size of each image, disk pool name, client name, policy name, date of backup.

Idea is to determine which client has used up most of the space on the disk pool and on what date.

I have tried running some reports on OpsCenter with built-in and a bit of customization but was unsuccessful.

I also have tried the scripts here in this post specifically - "Actual data written by policy by date" but no luck.

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/Downloads/OpsCenter-common-custom-reports/ta-p/809039

It would be mush appreciated if gurus here can help with a SQL Query to run on OpsCenter or guide any other way to pull this report. 

Cheers,

San

9 REPLIES 9

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

The best way to figure who (which client/backup type) is wasting space is to run a modified version of the "Jobs by application report" (one of the client reports).

What you do is you run the report, then grab the query and edit it a bit to include the presissize and kbyteswritten so you can see the pre/post dedupe figures. You can then put this into Excel and workout a percentage and find any clients/backup types that are not deduplicating well.

Cheers

Riaan

Thanks Riaan, I took a look at the Jobs by Application report, seems this reports on the backups created with size and number of files for each client for a choice of period.  I ran the report for a period of one month, I have a question about whether the data volume(MB) reported in this report for each client is a cumulative (30 days) for the whole month or its the total data to backup that resides on each client at any given time?

Also Sorry, that I have not completely explained the infrastructue, 

alongside the backups this appliance A (in location A) stores backup copies made by SLPs from other remote location like (Appliance B in Location B & Appliance C in Location C). So I am trying to achieve to get a list of all images (backups + copies) currently stored on the Appliance A along with thier size and date of backup to identify the most used client/s.

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

to answer your question, it is the total amount of data for the month, year, period selected. What you still need to do is modify the query and run it again to show the pre/post dedupe. If you copy the query and send it to me I'll modify it for you (don't have opscenter live here).

You must remember it gets very complicated when you're sending data from multiple appliances to another appliance. What the report above will show you is client A (VM) sent 100GB, stored 10GB (90% dedupe), client B (SharePoint) sent 100 GB, stored 50GB (50% dedupe).

In another appliance B you might have Client C (VM) sent 100GB, stored 10GB (90% dedupe) which all makes sense but when you now duplicate Client C to Appliance A what gets stored. It might be 10GB, it might be 100MB and Appliance A might grow by 10GB or might only grow by 100MB. It alll depends on the dedupe similiarity or Client A and Client B.

And if we go step further, the next itteration of Client C coming to appliance B might well only store 100MB because it now has a previous backup to dedupe against.

My suggestion is to focus on the report and look for clients like Client B that has below 70% dedupe ratio, because its those backups that are really consuming the space in a way that it is visible to us. Clients like A and C wont be causing much of an issue.

Cheers

Tape_Archived
   VIP   

With OpsCenter 8 and above the bytesWritten and jobSize reflects the dedupe size so the report shows dedupe backup size instead of actual backup if we do backup to the Appliance or MSDP.

You will have to run the "Job by Application" report, get the query from this report and replace domain_JobArchive.bytesWritten with domain_JobArchive.preSISSize and run the report using query. This will give you the total backup size of the client. The report may not be friendly but you can modify it easily. 

Thanks Riaan, Here is the Query

select TOP 100 START AT 1 sum (domain_JobArchive.filesBackedUp) as "domain_JobArchive.filesBackedUp",sum (domain_JobArchive.bytesWritten) as "domain_JobArchive.bytesWritten",domain_JobArchive.masterServerId as "domain_JobArchive.masterServerId",domain_JobArchive.policyType as "domain_JobArchive.policyType",domain_JobArchive.clientId as "domain_JobArchive.clientId",domain_Entity.name as "domain_Entity.name",#entity1.name as "#entity1.name" from domain_MasterServer , domain_Client , domain_JobArchive , domain_Entity , ( select * from domain_entity)#entity1 where domain_MasterServer.id = domain_JobArchive.masterServerId and domain_Client.masterServerId = domain_JobArchive.masterServerId and domain_Client.name = domain_JobArchive.clientName and ( (domain_MasterServer.id = domain_Entity.id) ) AND ( (domain_Client.id = #entity1.id) ) AND ( ( (domain_JobArchive.isValid = '1') AND (domain_JobArchive.policyType NOT IN (-1, 34 )) AND (domain_JobArchive.type NOT IN (30, 31, 32, 33, 34 )) ) AND ( ( (domain_JobArchive.endTime BETWEEN '137897872990660000' AND '137909968990660000') ) AND ( (domain_JobArchive.type IN (0, 1, 6, 7 )) ) AND ( ( (domain_JobArchive.masterServerId IN (61 )) ) ) ) ) GROUP BY "domain_JobArchive.masterServerId", "domain_JobArchive.policyType", "domain_JobArchive.clientId", "domain_Entity.name", "#entity1.name" ORDER BY UPPER("domain_Entity"."name" ) ASC , UPPER("#entity1.name") ASC , "domain_JobArchive.filesBackedUp" ASC

RiaanBadenhorst

select TOP 100 START AT 1 sum (domain_JobArchive.filesBackedUp) as "domain_JobArchive.filesBackedUp",sum (domain_JobArchive.preSisSize) as "domain_JobArchive.preSisSize",sum (domain_JobArchive.bytesWritten) as "domain_JobArchive.bytesWritten",domain_JobArchive.masterServerId as "domain_JobArchive.masterServerId",domain_JobArchive.policyType as "domain_JobArchive.policyType",domain_JobArchive.clientId as "domain_JobArchive.clientId",domain_Entity.name as "domain_Entity.name",#entity1.name as "#entity1.name" from domain_MasterServer , domain_Client , domain_JobArchive , domain_Entity , ( select * from domain_entity)#entity1 where domain_MasterServer.id = domain_JobArchive.masterServerId and domain_Client.masterServerId = domain_JobArchive.masterServerId and domain_Client.name = domain_JobArchive.clientName and ( (domain_MasterServer.id = domain_Entity.id) ) AND ( (domain_Client.id = #entity1.id) ) AND ( ( (domain_JobArchive.isValid = '1') AND (domain_JobArchive.policyType NOT IN (-1, 34 )) AND (domain_JobArchive.type NOT IN (30, 31, 32, 33, 34 )) ) AND ( ( (domain_JobArchive.endTime BETWEEN '137897872990660000' AND '137909968990660000') ) AND ( (domain_JobArchive.type IN (0, 1, 6, 7 )) ) AND ( ( (domain_JobArchive.masterServerId IN (61 )) ) ) ) ) GROUP BY "domain_JobArchive.masterServerId", "domain_JobArchive.policyType", "domain_JobArchive.clientId", "domain_Entity.name", "#entity1.name" ORDER BY UPPER("domain_Entity"."name" ) ASC , UPPER("#entity1.name") ASC , "domain_JobArchive.filesBackedUp" ASC

Add tagsI've added the bit in bold that will show you the before dedupe figure. You can use that and the bytesWritten to work out the dedupe ratio. Just export the report to csv.

I believe this query doesn't cover the data which is backup by SQL Intelligent policy or any other Instance seletion policies, Is it possible to include all the Intelligent policies?

RiaanBadenhorst

It should cover everything that is backed up. If anything is missing I would look into this exclusion and remove it

AND (domain_JobArchive.type NOT IN (30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ))

I see a server shows 0% utilized from the Report has data in the Backup, Our Primary Disk pool size after Dedup is 63 TB, From the report i can see the total data written is only 52TB.

I have also tried excluding "AND (domain_JobArchive.type NOT IN (30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ))"  but no luck.