cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup, big library and retention policy

Sergey_Korshuno
Level 4
How can I tell NetBackup to use ALL tapes in my library until the end, and then use the oldest tapes over again?
(sory for my English)
4 REPLIES 4

Stumpr2
Level 6
You can't. That functionality does not exist.

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
For this I will recomend to use vault, daily eject tapes and add them when the vault request them is very similar of what you want to do, you will get to the next round of tapes depending of the expiration date of your backups, so only organize this times and you will be fine.

Hope this helps.
Regards

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
I may be getting old and not remembering things correctly...
but...
I thought I read where netbackup chooses the next tape to use based on number of mounts.
Where a tape that had 5 mounts, and a tape that had 10 mounts,  the 5 mount one would get chosen first.

I always saw this as a way that netbackup tried to get even use out of the tapes, by not over using one tape.

if you wanted for force it ( and I hate forcing anything because then you are not using the software the way it was designed).  you would have to delete the tapes and re-inventory so they had 0 mounts and would get used first.

But I don't know where I read/heard this.... as it was years ago when I first read the manuals from cover to cover.

Stumpr2
Level 6
NetBackup no longer uses the # of mounts for selection criteria. I do not remember which version stopped using it or the reason for no longer using it.

You can change the # of mounts with the vmchange command.