cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup error code 96

Raz_Sam
Level 3

Hi All,

We are using Veritas NetBackup 6.5. Frequently most of the jobs will fail with error code 96. Some times this will happen because of unavailable of scratch tapes. At that time when we load scratch tapes and move those tapes to appropriate volume pool, jobs are running successfully. Sometimes even though we have empty tapes in that particular volume pool, jobs are getting failed.

Any one can please suggest me, why it is happening like this??

Thanks in advance,

Sam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Please work through this status 96 wizard:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=answers&type=wizard&wizardid=NBU090&wizardstepid...

PS:

You need to upgrade your NBU installation. Support for 6.5 ended over a year ago.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

kumara
Level 3

Hi Raz,

"Sometimes even though we have empty tapes in that particular volume pool, jobs are getting failed." 

I can't get you here buddy, is it means that even if scratch pool is full. Your jobs are failing with 96 error code? On the contrary if it is empty, isn't it obvious that jobs will fail with no new medias available?.

Kind Regards,

Kumara V

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Better to use scratch pool to move new tapes and will be moved to volume pools as and when needed by NBU.Why are you moving them to volume pools manually ?

Vickie
Level 6

Raz,

1) Please check the Density of Tape Drive and Tape Media you are using for backup.

2) Check the "Volume Expiration" date of media available for backup.

Share the above info once checked.

Regards,

Vickie

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Please work through this status 96 wizard:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=answers&type=wizard&wizardid=NBU090&wizardstepid...

PS:

You need to upgrade your NBU installation. Support for 6.5 ended over a year ago.

Raz_Sam
Level 3

Hi Marianne,

Thank you very much for your posts. The issue has been fixed. The is issue is because of unavailability of tapes.

Thank you all, who have posted on this issue.

Thanks,

Sam

Stumpr2
Level 6

If you have tapes in the scratch pool that are not being used then they are probably frozen. Also sometimes a person expires the tapes thinking they were expiring the images on the tape..

Raz_Sam
Level 3

Hi marrianne,

Now I am facing one restoration issue. When I am performing the restoration, the restore state is in pending for a long time.

In job Detailed Status, it is showing- awaiting resorce. But media is available in the library.

When I checked media status in command line, it is showing, Server Group=UNRESTRICTED_SHARING_GROUP"

For the above one, I have disabled "Enable unrestricted media sharing for all media servers" in Master server host properties.

I am very much worried about this issue and not able to find the actual cause.

For your information, I have performed Robotic Inventory also.

I will be thankful to you if you help me out in fixing this issue.

Thanks in advance,

Sam

sri_vani
Level 6
Partner

Hello Raz,

Unable to perform Restore-will be consider as a new issue.

Please create a new thread for it and also dnt forget to "Mark Solution"which helped u resolve ur issue.

Raz_Sam
Level 3

Hi Sri Vani,

Thanks for your suggestion. May I know how to "Mark Solution??". I am new to this forum.

Please suggest me.

Thanks,

Sam.

sri_vani
Level 6
Partner

Hello Sam,

Plz check under Actions item which u can see ri8bottom