cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup for Oracle

UFO
Level 6

Question: What is the benefit for using NetBackup Application and Database Pack on Oracle (AIX platform) over standard Oracle backup tools?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

From the product site

The NetBackup Oracle Agent is tightly integrated with the Oracle Recovery Manager (RMAN) to deliver highperformance backup and recovery solutions. It supports Oracle Real Application Clusters (RAC), offers continuous data protection, and can clone Oracle databases from backup images.
Features and Benefits
  • Online/Hot Oracle backups—Keep the database online and increase reliability by eliminating manual processes and scripts
  • RMAN integration—Tightly integrated with the Oracle Recovery Manager (RMAN) wizard to deliver high performance backup and recovery
  • Eliminate backup and recovery windows—Using snapshots and continuous data protection with Symantec NetBackup RealTime

In addition, you get the ability to integrate in NetBackup and therefore get access to all the backup features (in my opinion)

• Use NetBackup to send your backup data to dedupe storage
  • Use NetBackup to dedupe at both source or target.
  • Use NetBackup to control/manage the life cycle of your data by moving between storage medium i.e. dedupe storage, disk storage, tape storage
  • Use NetBackup to write to multiple locations (local and or remote) (inline or as a post process)
  • Use NetBackup to peform off-host process so your production servers aren't impacted by backups
  • Use NetBackup to manage your media in both on and offsite locations.

Basically you shouldn't look at it from an Oracle Database point or view, RMAN can backup your DB and stick on disk (and recover it), but it can't do all the things I mentioned above.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6

From the product site

The NetBackup Oracle Agent is tightly integrated with the Oracle Recovery Manager (RMAN) to deliver highperformance backup and recovery solutions. It supports Oracle Real Application Clusters (RAC), offers continuous data protection, and can clone Oracle databases from backup images.
Features and Benefits
  • Online/Hot Oracle backups—Keep the database online and increase reliability by eliminating manual processes and scripts
  • RMAN integration—Tightly integrated with the Oracle Recovery Manager (RMAN) wizard to deliver high performance backup and recovery
  • Eliminate backup and recovery windows—Using snapshots and continuous data protection with Symantec NetBackup RealTime

In addition, you get the ability to integrate in NetBackup and therefore get access to all the backup features (in my opinion)

• Use NetBackup to send your backup data to dedupe storage
  • Use NetBackup to dedupe at both source or target.
  • Use NetBackup to control/manage the life cycle of your data by moving between storage medium i.e. dedupe storage, disk storage, tape storage
  • Use NetBackup to write to multiple locations (local and or remote) (inline or as a post process)
  • Use NetBackup to peform off-host process so your production servers aren't impacted by backups
  • Use NetBackup to manage your media in both on and offsite locations.

Basically you shouldn't look at it from an Oracle Database point or view, RMAN can backup your DB and stick on disk (and recover it), but it can't do all the things I mentioned above.

UFO
Level 6

Thanks :) Not looking to the web-site was an obvious way to save time. Fail.

In an addition what I just found.

The NetBackup Application and Database Pack license covers agents for the following databases and applications:

• Oracle
  • Microsoft SQL Server, Microsoft Exchange Server, Microsoft SharePoint, Microsoft Active Directory
  • IBM DB2, IBM Lotus Notes
  • Informix
  • Sybase
  • Symantec Enterprise Vault

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6

Correct. You do however need one license per application or database. But having one license that covers all the databases/applications makes it simple to move a license to another database/application as and when you decommision one, and commision a new one. Given that its the same architecture and TIER level of course.

UFO
Level 6

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6

Hi,

That is one option. Do you mean to say that you create a backup in RMAN, dump to disk on the client, and then back up using a STANDARD policy? You can do that if you don't want to pay for the Oracle Agent, its not very effective but possible.

If you buy the agent you use an Oracle policy type. The netbackup installation on the client interfaces with RMAN by replacing one of the binaries it uses to perform backups. So when you run your Oracle policy it talks to RMAN, asks it to do the backup, and then "intercepts" the data stream, and puts it on tape.

You don't need to be a Oracle Guru, simply ask your DBA to fill in the blanks in the sample rman scripts that are installed with the NetBackup client. You need to add a few details, like Database SID, username and password, etc.