cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to create parent directories during restore?

altmiket
Level 4

We have lots of users that work with the NBU Java GUI to handle their own restores.

Most of these restores are run for data backed up to a Media server over NFS, but also a lot of NDMP restores.

Probably 50% of these restores end up failing, in particular when they are restored to original location, because the parent directory for the restore no longer exists.  The users then end up having to go manually create the directories in question, and re-run the restore.

Is there a way to have NetBackup create these directories?

For example, if a whole filesystem /foo is backed up over NFS, and then deleted.   And a user requests a restore for /foo/blah1/blah2 to be restored to it's original location, the restore fails, because /foo/blah1 no longer exists.  I would prefer if NetBackup would create the directory /foo/blah1 and then restore blah2 into it.

Is there a way to do that?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited

I dont think that Netbackup can do it because Netbackup cant make its own folders for the logging like the bpbrm or bpbkar etc and we have to create them so that the logging can start.. 

watsons
Level 6

From your post, I presume your environment is mostly Unix-based.

This is expected issue when you allow users to restore on their own. We too have this discussion among our team, and since we are serving different groups, we decided to have a restore server to hold the restore data.

Users are instructed to restore to a common restore dir (NFS/CIFS) where there is a /restore created by admin and this cannot be modified by users. With this prefix, users created their own sub-dir and upon completion, they are to copy the restored data to their own destination. The restored data will be kept for a certain time but we as the admin can remove it within days to clear up diskspace when necessary.