cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup not looking at the right server

smwoodcrafts
Level 6
Has anyone ever seen this? We have a number of clusters of 2 servers each, active and passive. When we get a request to back one up, we load the client on both servers and create the policy to backup the with the cluster name, that way it will always back up the active node. This works fine most of the time, but sometimes when there is a failover or just a switch of the active node, netbackup still sees the original node as active. Example:

cluster servers: node1 and node2 (node1 active)
cluster name: cluster1

With everything loaded and policy created to back up cluster1. You go to host properties and connect to cluster1 and check client name. It shows the name of the active node, node1. For whatever reason, The active node changes to node2. Now, when you go to host properties and connect to cluster1, the client name should be node2, but it's not, it's still node1 which means the clustered drives will not be backed up.

I have seen this a couple of times and have one now that is still seeing the passive node as active.

Any ideas?

smwoodcrafts

PS everthing is 6.5.2
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

smwoodcrafts
Level 6

I found the answer. This cluster is in the DMZ. They have an IP for each server then an IP for the cluster and an IP for the virtuall name. I found that both the cluster and virtual name were entries in the hosts file. The virtual IP was failed over but not the cluster IP. I removed the cluster IP from the hosts file and it now sees the active node.

Thanks

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

quebek
   VIP    Certified

If your NBU server is running on wintel try to run ipconfing /flushdns so this will make correct entiers for failovered node.
on UNIX you should remove the arp entry for old active node and then ping this virtual name again so the new one will be in arp cache.
I hope this is the issue you do have!

smwoodcrafts
Level 6

I found the answer. This cluster is in the DMZ. They have an IP for each server then an IP for the cluster and an IP for the virtuall name. I found that both the cluster and virtual name were entries in the hosts file. The virtual IP was failed over but not the cluster IP. I removed the cluster IP from the hosts file and it now sees the active node.

Thanks