cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 6.5.2 Image Cleanup issue

EPL
Level 2

Hello,

I'm new to Netbackup, and have just installed it in my enviornment. This last weekend was my first attempt at a full backup of my server enviornment and overall it was a success except for one issue.

I've got a Storage LifeCycle policy configured to backup to disk first, then duplicate to tape.

All my other backups successfuly duplicated to tape except for a large 800GB image. The duplication job goes for a few hours, and then another job of type "Image Cleanup" runs, which fails the Duplication job with a status of: 1: (50) client process aborted. The rince and repeat, the duplication job runs again for another few hours in an attempt to write to tape, and gets kicked again by the image cleanup job.

#1, why would the image cleanup job interupt a duplication job, is this normal?

#2, what sets the schedule for "Image Cleanup"?

Thanks for your help!

8 REPLIES 8

Karthikeyan_Sun
Level 6

Error 50: Indicates the unexpected service stop, please check for unexpected service stop in evnent log.

Image Cleanup: it's a jobs used to clean the older catalog images, This job will run after a completion of backup.

I think Image Cleanup wont affect the Duplication, Kindly check for Event Logs and Veritas Logs and Let us know !!!

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Image cleanup period is set within Host Properties/Master Servers/master server/Clean-up tab.

From the context sensitive help page:

"...

The Image cleanup property specifies the maximum interval that can elapse before an image cleanup is run. Image cleanup is run after every successful backup session (that is, a session in which at least one backup runs successfully). If a backup session exceeds this maximum interval, an image cleanup is initiated

..."

EPL
Level 2

I looked through the windows logs on both master and media server and did not find that any service had stopped. The one thing I noticed is that the dup job runs for about 2 hours 20 min each time before it something kills it. If I look through the Netbackup Reports, both Problems and All Log Entries, there is nothing that stands out other then the error, Duplicated exited with a status of 50 (client process aborted). This morning I did not see an image cleanup job run that interupted the job, it just stopped by itself. it seems to be in a never ending cylce.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
BUG REPORT: Duplications fail after 20 minutes with a NetBackup Status Code 50 (client process abort...

BUG REPORT: Duplication jobs fail with status code 50 (Client process aborted) reported

The above actually mentions aborts after 20 minutes, so maybe not relevant?

Message Edited by Andy Welburn on 11-11-2008 04:10 PM

EPL
Level 2
I will open a case with Symantec and see what they say. Thank you for your help

EPL
Level 2

I opened the case and was told to install a patch associated with the following bug report

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/313850.htm

so far more than 2.5 hours running with no errors.... keeping my fingers crossed.

backem_up
Level 3
Certified
I have the exact same issue.  What was the fix they gave you?  The bug report is making reference to it being addressed in 6.5.3.

dsmike
Not applicable
Partner

May i ask what type of disk storage unit your first copy goes to?  I want to do something similar but basic disk stu doesn't work with lifecycle policies.