cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 6.5 32bit on Windows to Netbackup 7 64bit on windows upgrade path

Limey
Level 2
Partner Accredited Certified

Is it possible to go from Netbackup 6.5 32bit on Windows to Netbackup 7 64bit on windows?  I was told I would Need Symantec Consulting services to do this for NBU 6.5 32bit windows to NBU 6.5 64bit on windows - Did this change with NBU 7?

I've heard, that an in place upgrade to NBU 7 32bit and then a hot cat backup/restore to an NBU 7 64bit windows is the way I can go.  Can anyone confirm this?  Anyone actually tried this?

I've not seen this path specifically mentioned in the Documentation unless I missed it somewhere!

Its possible in Linux/Unix - see link

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/337970.htm

Any information is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
However, it's worth to try.
You'll need some 64-bit server with the same hostname and NBU patch level installed.

1. Do NBCC check. Once its output clean, you're ready to go.
2. Perform a hot backup of NBU catalog, take DR file and a tape
3. Shut down old server and run catalog recovery wizard from the 64-bit box, point the wizard to DR file and provide a tape (you might be required to configure some tape drive temporary for this purpose)
4. Reconfigure storage devices.
5. Run NBCC once again

IIRC, you'll lose the JOB DB (contents of Activity Monitor), but all other databases are not bit-sensitive.
It is extremely important to maintain the same patch level on the both boxes as EMM schema can be different for different patchlevels.

IIRC, SYMC does support NBU migrated this way (but does not support the migration procedure) if NBCC outputs are clean.