cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 6.5.4 client on Windows 2008 64 bits keep on hang and the service can not be restarted

Iwan_Tamimi
Level 6

Hi Al, 

We have serveral Windows 2008 64 bits running Netbackup 6.5.4 clients, for serveral month the backup running find until recently. The backup begin once in awhile begin to show problem, the backup coul not go through if I saw on the activity monitor looked it stoped. I cancel the job and rerun again had the same problem. Then I tried to restart the Netbackup service on the server, the service could not stop, it was always showed "stopping" even until the next day, I tried to kill it using task manager aksi no help. The only solution we could do was rebooting the server. The problem only happenned to Windows 2008 Servers so far ( I count , they are 5 of our servers). On ny site this  never happened to Windows 2003 servers.

Anyone have a similar issue? Any solution?

Thank you.

Iwan Tamimi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Before you try to stop NBU Client service on client, first check Task Manager for bpbkar and bpfis processes. Kill them before restarting service.

Ensure that you have bpfis and bpbkar log directories on the client for troubleshooting.
Double-check master server Host Properties -> Client Attributes that all W2008 clients have been added and that VSS is selected for WOFB.

Which 2008 service pack or release? If R2, you need to to upgrade to 6.5.5 as a minimum.

Upgrade master and media servers before upgrading the clients.

NBU 6.5.6 is the latest 6.5 patch level.

Please consider upgrading to 7.1 rather - new versions come with additional features and fixes.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Before you try to stop NBU Client service on client, first check Task Manager for bpbkar and bpfis processes. Kill them before restarting service.

Ensure that you have bpfis and bpbkar log directories on the client for troubleshooting.
Double-check master server Host Properties -> Client Attributes that all W2008 clients have been added and that VSS is selected for WOFB.

Which 2008 service pack or release? If R2, you need to to upgrade to 6.5.5 as a minimum.

Upgrade master and media servers before upgrading the clients.

NBU 6.5.6 is the latest 6.5 patch level.

Please consider upgrading to 7.1 rather - new versions come with additional features and fixes.