cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 6.5.6 Image Import

sdlsuper
Level 3

Hi,

I'm trying to import an old tape; I don't have the Catalog for this tape.

I tried the following steps:

1. The tape is LTO3 (we are using now LTO5 tapes) so I changed the configuration on Netbackup to the right one (Device_Drives_HCART2)

2. Inventory for the old tape

3. Start to initiate the import (Catlog_Actions_Initiate Import)

- Now on the activity monitor the process stays on 0%, and after a while gives a "252" error.

I tried to move the tape to a different Media Pool but still the same error.

Will be happy for any suggestions

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Found the post:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/need-match-external-label-internal

You will need to make a note of the slot #, delete 0015L3, add media as 000015 with -b 000015L3.
Then right-click the media-id in the GUI and 'move' it into robot 1, slot 21, matching volume group...

Please also add it to another pool. DataStore is also a special type in NBU. Either create a new IMPORT pool or add it to NetBackup pool (provided NetBackup pool is not used for backups).

PS.... Please copy the text in cmd window rather than screenshots?

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

If you run, bpmedialist -m <media id> what is the output.

The tape cannot be in the scratch pool for an import, so make sure it is in some othrer.

What are the details in the Activity Monitor > Details > Troubleshooting tab

Try it from the command line :

bpimport -create_db_info -id <mediai id> -server <media server>

Thanks,

Martin

sdlsuper
Level 3

Hi,

i tried to import the tape from the command line, i'm getting a diffrent error now "12" , i guess it has somthing to do with the TAPE label, it has no "L3" at the end.

Marianne
Level 6

If the LTO3 media was added to NBU as density hcart3, you need to configure 1 tape drive as hcart3 as well.

Please confirm media density and pool name with:

vmquery -m <media-id>

*** EDIT ****

Media ID in NBU is only 6 chars - it will only be 000015 or else 0015L3 - not the entire 8-char barcode of 000015L3.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Apart from the fact that the density must be the same on the media and tape drive as Marianne highlighted (I thought you had this covered ...) ...

Some libraries will not load tapes if the 'L3' etc ... is missing off the barcode. 

What library do you have ?

Thanks,

Martin

sdlsuper
Level 3

i changed the media density ,regarding the Media ID, by mistiake i enterd the Barcode and not the Media ID.

i tried that now and i'm getting a diffrent error: 176

Error bptm(pid=1452) Media mounted has media id of 000015, but 0015L3 was requested.  Must add 000015 to Media Manager volume database and retry.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Re-run using media id 000015 ...

Make sure that the NBU is showing the media id as 000015 first ...

Martin

Marianne
Level 6

Media mounted has media id of 000015, but 0015L3 was requested.

Was this tape originally used in a library that read the 1st 6 chars of the barcode 000015?
Tape library in the meantime replaced with new one that reads all 8 chars (000015L3)?
NBU will by default add the last 6 chars to volume database 0015L3.

Please post output of these two commands:

vmquery -m 000015

vmquery -m 0015L3

Based on what we see in the output, we can suggest steps to remediate...

sdlsuper
Level 3

Hi,

it's a new library, on the old library it was 000015.

i attached the output

Marianne
Level 6

Seems NBU only knows about 0015L3, not 000015?

Problem is that the internal volume header seems to be 000015, but external media id of  0015L3 exists in EMM database. Seems media id 000015 got deleted in the meantime.

Your problem now is with the mismatch of external and internal media id.

I managed to figure out correct vmadd command for a customer a month or so ago (also on this forum...).
Give me a minute or two to find it.....

sdlsuper
Level 3

Thanks!

Marianne
Level 6

Found the post:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/need-match-external-label-internal

You will need to make a note of the slot #, delete 0015L3, add media as 000015 with -b 000015L3.
Then right-click the media-id in the GUI and 'move' it into robot 1, slot 21, matching volume group...

Please also add it to another pool. DataStore is also a special type in NBU. Either create a new IMPORT pool or add it to NetBackup pool (provided NetBackup pool is not used for backups).

PS.... Please copy the text in cmd window rather than screenshots?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Or just delete that media, change the media id generation rule to add that media in with media id 000015.

Then run inventory.  THis would be a problem though, if you have other media picked up in the inventory as they will be added with a non-standard barcode to what you are using now.

So, command line as suggested by Marianne is better.

I guess vmphyinv could be used though, this reads the tape to inventory it, so should add it with the correct media id.

M

Marianne
Level 6

In the post that I have shared above, Andy was also suggesting vmphinv.
The nice thing about vmphinv is that you specify the 1 slot # that needs to be inventoried.

You will need to delete 0015L3 in any case.

I have found the email in which I explained steps taken to fix similar issue at customer (no commands or exact details...):

Deleted 5573L3, added 005573 in correct slot and in pool that is not used for backups, updated barcode for media-id from cmd.

Seems I used the GUI to add the media-id and then just used vmchange from cmd to update barcode.

....Many ways to skin a cat .....wink

sdlsuper
Level 3

thanks a lot, i'm able to improt the tape now!

have a great day