cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 6.5 - Encrypted Backup

Derek_682
Level 3

We have Netbackup 6.5.2 on HPUX 11.23. Our client have the following OSes - HPUX 11.11, HPUX  11.23, WIN NT4, WIN XP, WIN 2000, and WIN2003.

We are looking on getting tapes offsite and would like to encrypt the backups going to tape.  How can this be done?

Thanks,
Derek 682

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

F_J
Level 4

Your options for encryption are:

1. Client encryption - this is a base feature of the product and does not require a separate license.

2. Media Server ENcryption Option - requires a separate option license and implementation.

3. Hardware (tape drive-based) encryption - only available with some of the latest tape drives and NBU 6.5.2 and above.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

marekkedzierski
Level 6
Partner

You can use encyption option for free in 6.5, but it's encryption performed by clients during backup (and supproted on not all types of backup, for example BMR)..

Unfortunatelly Media Server Encryption Option is not supported on HP.UX.. So.. last thing is LTO4 with hardware encryption enabled.

marekk

F_J
Level 4

Your options for encryption are:

1. Client encryption - this is a base feature of the product and does not require a separate license.

2. Media Server ENcryption Option - requires a separate option license and implementation.

3. Hardware (tape drive-based) encryption - only available with some of the latest tape drives and NBU 6.5.2 and above.

Derek_682
Level 3

Looks like my option is the client encryption. For this type of encryption is this set per backup policy, or when you set encryption for that client means all backups of that host will be encrypted?  The reason I asked is that we are looking to encrypt backups for certain directories only.

Thanks,

derek 682

F_J
Level 4
Client encryption is enabled per policy, but there is one key set per client.

Derek_682
Level 3

Thanks FJ!  That clarifies what I need to know.