cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 6.5 client installation on Red Hat Enterprise Server 5.1

Robert_VanCleef
Level 3
The remote client installation failed, so I installed the contents of the RedHat2.6 client tar file from the Netbackup 6.5 CD on our server.

Code:
[root /]# cat /etc/redhat-releaseRed Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.1 (Tikanga)[root /]# uname -aLinux palsrv6.pal.us.bosch.com 2.6.18-53.1.6.el5 #1 SMP Wed Jan 16 03:56:15 EST 2008 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux[root /]#

Nothing was added to start netbackup, so I added three files to /etc/xinet.d.

However, when I attempt a backup of the system, the server complains that it can't connect to the client.
I see the following in the client messages logs...
Code:
Feb 26 04:18:31 palsrv6 xinetd[6264]: START: bpcd pid=9201 from=10.25.54.22Feb 26 04:18:31 palsrv6 xinetd[9201]: execv( /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpcd ) failed: Exec format error (errno = 8)Feb 26 04:18:31 palsrv6 xinetd[6264]: EXIT: bpcd status=0 pid=9201 duration=0(sec)Feb 26 04:18:31 palsrv6 xinetd[6264]: START: bpcd pid=9206 from=10.25.54.22Feb 26 04:18:31 palsrv6 xinetd[9206]: execv( /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpcd ) failed: Exec format error (errno = 8)Feb 26 04:18:31 palsrv6 xinetd[6264]: EXIT: bpcd status=0 pid=9206 duration=0(sec)

Any idea as to the cause of this error?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
It looks like you've installed incorrect binaries - that's usually the cause of system errors like the ones you pasted.

From your OTHER paste, it appears you have IA-64 binaries installed on a non-Itanium system.

To confirm, check the /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/version file - it may say "IA-64" somewhere in there as well (it shouldn't).  { EDIT: I just checked a media kit and all it will say is "NetBackup-RedHat2.6 6.5" so actually, that won't help.  Your `file` output was the way to go.}

My guess is you tar'd up Linux-IA64/RedHat2.6 instead of Linux/RedHat2.6.  Try a reinstall using the other "RedHat2.6" client.

If THAT doesn't work, try "Linux/RedHat2.4" - they're 32-bit binaries but sometimes they are compatible.

The O/S compatibility matrix will probably be a better guide as to which version to use, but DEFINITELY don't use the IA-64 ones.  I'm totally sure about that.  :)

Message Edited by CRZ on 02-27-2008 12:30 PM

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Jim-m
Level 5
What does the command
netstat -a | grep -i listen | grep bpcd
return ?

AndreaBolongaro
Level 5
Certified
Hi Robert,

-  check you used the correct x86_64 client

- from the shell, try  "telnet localhost bpcd" and check the output.

- "....Nothing was added to start netbackup..." mmmh...check installation log

Hope it helps.

Robert_VanCleef
Level 3
Code:
[xinetd.d]# grep bpcd /etc/servicesbpcd            13782/tcp                       # VERITAS NetBackupbpcd            13782/udp                       # VERITAS NetBackup[xinetd.d]#  telnet localhost bpcdTrying 127.0.0.1...Connected to localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1).Escape character is '^]'.                      <--- connection closed instantlyConnection closed by foreign host.[xinetd.d]#  tail /var/log/messages [snip]Feb 27 08:33:08 palsrv6 xinetd[6264]: START: bpcd pid=28222 from=127.0.0.1Feb 27 08:33:08 palsrv6 xinetd[28222]: execv( /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpcd ) failed: Exec format error (errno = 8)Feb 27 08:33:08 palsrv6 xinetd[6264]: EXIT: bpcd status=0 pid=28222 duration=0(sec)[xinetd.d]# 

As for using the correct client, I used the RedHat2.6-client_bin.tar.Z from the 6.5 CD.  Unfortunately, I haven't found anything in the /usr/openv directory to clarifiy what is what ... unless it simply doesn't like AMD chips.

Code:
[openv]# file /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpcd/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpcd: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, IA-64, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.4.0, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.4.0, not stripped[openv]# file /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-53.el5/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-53.el5: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, AMD x86-64, version 1, stripped[openv]# 

I did just notice one thing; Why would the RedHat-2.6 file contain 2.4 binaries? GNU/Linux 2.4.0

AndreaBolongaro
Level 5
Certified
1) check in any        

only_from               =  <ip address>

in bpcd file under /etc/xinetd.d

2)

Veritas NetBackup 6.5 Enterprise Server

The following (alphabetical by download filename) list is intended

to help you determine the files you'd like to download.

Please refer to the Release Notes pdf in the Docs image for specific

Operating System and Product Feature support details.

Key:

==== Descriptive Title of each Product Image

Download file name

-{More details when appropriate}

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

==== NetBackup BMR for Unix

NetBackup_6.5_BMRunix.tar.gz

==== NetBackup Unix Client1 (Tru64(Alpha), HP's and AIX)

NetBackup_6.5_CLIENTS1.tar.gz

-Tru64, AIX and HP Risc/IA64

==== NetBackup Unix Client2 (Mac and Linux's)

NetBackup_6.5_CLIENTS2.tar.gz

-Mac

-all Supported Linux: Redhat & Suse; IA64/x86/X64;

also IBMz and PowerPC

==== NetBackup Unix Client3 (Solaris's, FreeBSD and IRIX)

NetBackup_6.5_CLIENTS3.tar.gz

-Solaris Sparc & X86, FreeBSD and SGI-Irix

==== NetBackup pdf Docs

NetBackup_6.5_Docs.tar.gz

==== NetBackup Linux 2.6 IA64 ICS

NetBackup_6.5_ICS_LinuxIA64.tar.gz

-Symantec Product Authorization

-Symantec Product Authentication

-Symantec PBX

==== NetBackup Linux 2.4/2.6 32/64 ICS

NetBackup_6.5_ICS_LinuxX86.tar.gz

-Symantec Product Authorization

-Symantec Product Authentication

-Symantec PBX

==== NetBackup Linux 2.4 Server/Client

NetBackup_6.5_Linux2.4.tar.gz

-Includes ALL NetBackup 6.5 supported Linux x86/X64 client types.

IBMz Linux also.

==== NetBackup Linux IA64 2.6 Redhat and Suse Servers/Clients

NetBackup_6.5_LinuxIA64.tar.gz

-Includes ALL NetBackup 6.5 supported Linux IA64 client types.

==== NetBackup Linux 2.6 Redhat Server/Client

NetBackup_6.5_LinuxRedhat2.6.tar.gz

-Includes ALL NetBackup 6.5 supported Linux x86/X64 client types.

IBMz Linux also.

==== NetBackup Linux 2.6 Suse Server/Client

NetBackup_6.5_LinuxSles2.6.tar.gz

Includes ALL NetBackup 6.5 supported Linux x86/X64 client types.

IBMz Linux also.

==== NetBackup Unix Options/Database Agents

NetBackup_6.5_UnixOptions.tar.gz

:NetBackup Add-ons:  
   -NetBackup Snapshot Client
   -NetBackup LiveUpdate
    -NetBackup Client Encryption
    -NetBackup NDMP
    -NetBackup Unix Vault

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
It looks like you've installed incorrect binaries - that's usually the cause of system errors like the ones you pasted.

From your OTHER paste, it appears you have IA-64 binaries installed on a non-Itanium system.

To confirm, check the /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/version file - it may say "IA-64" somewhere in there as well (it shouldn't).  { EDIT: I just checked a media kit and all it will say is "NetBackup-RedHat2.6 6.5" so actually, that won't help.  Your `file` output was the way to go.}

My guess is you tar'd up Linux-IA64/RedHat2.6 instead of Linux/RedHat2.6.  Try a reinstall using the other "RedHat2.6" client.

If THAT doesn't work, try "Linux/RedHat2.4" - they're 32-bit binaries but sometimes they are compatible.

The O/S compatibility matrix will probably be a better guide as to which version to use, but DEFINITELY don't use the IA-64 ones.  I'm totally sure about that.  :)

Message Edited by CRZ on 02-27-2008 12:30 PM

Robert_VanCleef
Level 3
That was the key -- I had the IA64 version installed on an AMD system.

One suggestion: Add a README to the client directory explaining how to envoke the various scripts. 

It took a bit of stumbling around to figure out why "install_client" was failing (no rsh support) and how to envoke "ssh_to_client".  It really seems to me that adding a "--ssh" option to the install_client script, instead of having to envoke a symbolic link as a separate script, would be cleaner.  Either way, a README would have sped things up.

Be that as it may, currently a full dump is running on that system.

Thanks for your help.

thomas_wong
Level 2

Hi,

I written blog on installation of Netbackup 6.5 on RedHat this...

http://linuxplatform.blogspot.com/2010/03/netbackup-655-on-linux-redhat.html

Hope it help.

Regards,

Thomas

Ravindra_J
Level 2
hi,

I have installed Veritas 6.5 in linux 2.6. I am able to Ping with the server and vice versa.i have added the folder in backup selection link.
in hot prop. it gien Error code 25 unable to conncect .
i am not able to telnet with the client

Please help..

rjrumfelt
Level 6
Please create a new thread rather than bringing an old one back to the top