cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 6.5

rishi_rich
Level 5
Hi,

I have Netbackup 6.5 setup. I think data deduplication we can  do on LTO4 tapes? as iam newly joined company i never got a chance to watch how deduplication is done on LTO4.Can somebody help me out how we can enable data deduplication on netbackup 6.5.I am having IBM Ultrim TD4 tape drive and Spectra T50e tape library.Since i gone through some documents its shows that we can enable data deduplication in NB6.5.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
As Nicolai pointed out - what you see is compression, not deduplication.
If you Google 'backup deduplication' you will find a lot of information. Start with this link : http://www.backupcentral.com/content/view/58/47/

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Marianne
Level 6
I have never heard of any tape technology that can do deduplication. As far as I know only disk-based appliances can do this.
I know that companies such as DataDomain, Quantum, EMC & Falconstor have dedup appliances, all disk-based.
Symantec also has NetBackup Puredisk (also disk-based).

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   
LTO4 drives can do data encryption - But that not the same as deduplication.

rishi_rich
Level 5
Hello,

Thank you for update.but when i see my tape its showing data 3.5TB in netbakcup screen ,but i know that LTO4 has capcity of 800/1.6 TB
when i run media contain list its showing me 3.5TB,due to which i assume that deduplication is there.My question is why my netbackup showing me data written is 3758096384 bytes FULL..?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   
Nearly all tape drives have some sort of incorporated hardware compression. The ratio 800/1.6TB per cartridge is a marketing stunt, you may have a lot more (like you) or a lot less (800GB). It all come down to the type of data you are writing to tape.

Databases compress really well, binary files usually compress in a ration 1.6:1, but pre compressed data don't benefit at all from the tape drive compression.  As a conservative rule of thumb I always say 800GB is what you pay for, everything above is a bonus.

Hope this clarify.

Marianne
Level 6
As Nicolai pointed out - what you see is compression, not deduplication.
If you Google 'backup deduplication' you will find a lot of information. Start with this link : http://www.backupcentral.com/content/view/58/47/

rishi_rich
Level 5
Hi All,

Thank you for all your reply.

Eric_Zhang
Level 5

Good People.  really helpfule !