cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 7.0, Master Server 32 bit / Media Servers 64 bit

rpetty
Level 2

Question:

I have a Windows 2003 32 bit Master Server that has been running our backups for about 3 years.  I am now expanding our backup system.  I am adding 2 new media servers.  The new media servers are much more powerful than our master server.  I was planning on installing Windows 2008 R2 64 bit on both media servers and I would like to know if there will be any issues with compatability.  Should I attempt to move our master server to new 64 bit hardware or can I just add the 2 new media servers and all the planets will line up and everyone will live happily ever after?

I am running Netbackup 7.0

Rob

4 REPLIES 4

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Yes 32-bit master server is supported with 64-bit media servers/clients.

rpetty
Level 2

And what about the Windows 2003 Master and Windows 2008 R2 Media Servers?  Any issues with the media servers having a newer OS than the master or would it be better to go all Win2003?

Thanks for the quick reply!

Rob

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

No problems.

Only NBU version on the master server should be same or higher than media server.

Regards..

Ed_Wilts
Level 6

There is very little that won't run on 32-bit Windows that I'm aware of.  If you're doing any de-dupe, you MUST be running64-bit, but that's a media server function anyway, not a master server function.

That said, you're running a 7-year old OS and you probably upgrade the master server eventually anyway.  You just don't need to do it today.