cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 7.0 backup is happening throuh LAN for a media server

GL_Narayanan
Level 3

Hi!

Netbackup 7.0 is happening through LAN for a Solaris server. I want it to run on SAN.

Master server is Redhat Linux 5.5. Client server is a media server Solaris 10. Tandberg (HP) Tape drive is connected through FC on master server. Backup client is zoned with Tape drive. Backup device is detected in Solaris OS, checked with cfgadm -al. But, it is not showed in Netbackup interface. Will post if any other info needed.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

That is normal to show transport type as LAN. (It's confusing, I know!)

If the Activity Monitor is showing media server name correctly and you see bptm and bpbrm processes running on the media server, the backup is local (SAN).

Another test is to run the following command on Solaris server while the backup is running:
iostat -xn 3 |grep rmt 

You should be able to see I/O to the tape.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

If your client is also the media server that is backing itself up then it will be backing up via SAN. The metadata will be sent to the drive over SAN if it's SAN connected.

GL_Narayanan
Level 3

But, it is showing transport type as LAN in job details for the interested server and path is not there in device monitor in master server netbackup interface. I want to know the steps to do SAN backup. Fibre Transport device is 0 for this media server.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

That is normal to show transport type as LAN. (It's confusing, I know!)

If the Activity Monitor is showing media server name correctly and you see bptm and bpbrm processes running on the media server, the backup is local (SAN).

Another test is to run the following command on Solaris server while the backup is running:
iostat -xn 3 |grep rmt 

You should be able to see I/O to the tape.

GL_Narayanan
Level 3

Excellent. Thanks Marianne and Revaroo for your replies. I too restarted netbackup services in media server and ran configure storage devices. This is a high quality forum to post about issues.