Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 7.5 - BPduplicate Between DataDomains

ksurya1487
Level 4

Hi Guys,

I have a querey on bpduplicate.

we have two DC 1 and 2, Both has NBU7.5 attached to DataDomain and has DDBOOST licences.

we are in process to migrate all backups and servers from DC1 to DC2.

Current running backups run through SLP so that it backups in DC1 and duplicated to DC2 Datadomain, we know its optimized replication via DDBOOST which sends only unique data over WAN from DC1 to DC2

we have lots of backups that ran before SLP is bene configured , residing on DC1 datadomain, we need to duplicate this to DC2, by running bpduplicate command to duplicate imaged does it used the optimized DDBOOST replication like how SLP does or the data comes to media server and duplicated to DC2.

hope you got my question

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Q1: No - Boost to NFS will not be optimized. I don't even think you can do such a configuration.

Q2: For Data Domain you will only see optimized duplication when source and destination are Data Domains storage units. e.g a Data Domain to MSDP duplication or vice versa will not be optimized.

This migration from DC1 to DC2 - is this to a new Netbackup enviroment for "just" a move of the existing. If migration to a new master server including change of name of server, you may read Marianne post again about using nbreplicate

bpduplicate : copy a backup within the same netbackup domain

nbreplicate: copy a backup from one to another netbackup domain 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

watsons
Level 6

It is a bit unclear. You already have SLP configured to duplicate data from DC1 to DC2, but yet you still want to use bpduplicate to do it? Once again?

Only reason I can think of is you want to speed things up by running manual bpduplicate, instead of waiting for SLP to complete? If that is the case, no.. you can't do that because when images are SLP-managed, you can't (and better not) manually duplicate it unless you cancel the SLP operation first.

Perhaps you can explain more why you want to use bpduplicate, instead of SLP?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

The command used to duplicate the old non-slp controlled backup images should not matter. What matter is the storage server used to process data - in this case the Data Domain OST framework. And since both source and destination are Data Domain using bpduplicate should be optimized.

Best Regards

Nicolai

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I have seen users using nbreplicate to replicate between domains.
Will see if I find the post(s)...

My concern with using bpduplicate is that only the source NBU domain will know about the duplication.
nbreplicate should update the destination NBU master as well.

Previous posts:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/migrating-images-between-netbackup-domains#comment-92...

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/does-anyone-know-format-bidfile

TN: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH205923 

ksurya1487
Level 4

Thanks Nicolai, i was thinking only SLP will do the optimized Dedup ( from DD to DD )

eveb if bpduplicate also does the same , it would be good for us to do.!!

i have one more doubt,

Source data is been backed up via DDBOOST, if i duplicate that to a NFS share mounted from DD in DC2 to backup server in DC1 , will it still do opitimized deduplication????

it will do optimized Deduplication only if we use DDBOOST storage unit or it will do for any target from datadomain

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Q1: No - Boost to NFS will not be optimized. I don't even think you can do such a configuration.

Q2: For Data Domain you will only see optimized duplication when source and destination are Data Domains storage units. e.g a Data Domain to MSDP duplication or vice versa will not be optimized.

This migration from DC1 to DC2 - is this to a new Netbackup enviroment for "just" a move of the existing. If migration to a new master server including change of name of server, you may read Marianne post again about using nbreplicate

bpduplicate : copy a backup within the same netbackup domain

nbreplicate: copy a backup from one to another netbackup domain