cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 7.5 Exchange GRT Restore issue

jamesrburns
Level 3
Partner Accredited Certified

I have varying (as in the failure can occur at two different points) restore issue with NB 7.5.4 :-

Set up GRT Policy for Exchange 2010 SP2. Had various issues along the way, but thought I now had it working. Pretty sure I have followed all requirements in docs.

GRT Backup of Exchange semingly works fine with no errors, but when trying to browse the mailboxes during item restore attempt, often get "ERROR: Socket open failed" with associated error code 21. That is most common error I am getting.

Somtimes, it gets further and allows me to select mailbox item for restore, but restore fails with this error :-

"failed to recover the requested files" with a "rai error 17"

Have tried reducing Dedup STU fragment size to 5000MB and increasing client timeouts to 180 seconds to no avail.

Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 being used for NB servers and clients.

NB Client Restore log (when it gets that far) :-

10:22:46 08/02/2013: Restore Started

10:23:27 (813.001) Restoring from copy 1 of image created 07/02/2013 16:55:07
10:25:16 (813.001) TAR - \\NBU-EXCH\Microsoft Information Store\Mailbox Database 1496595363\Database
10:25:16 (813.001) (813.001) ERR - unable to create object for restore: \\NBU-EXCH\Microsoft Information Store\Mailbox Database 1496595363\Database\peter piper [ppiper], rai error = 17
10:25:16 (813.001) (813.001) ERR - unable to create object for restore: \\NBU-EXCH\Microsoft Information Store\Mailbox Database 1496595363\Database\peter piper [ppiper]\Top of Information Store, rai error = 17
10:25:16 (813.001) (813.001) ERR - unable to create object for restore: \\NBU-EXCH\Microsoft Information Store\Mailbox Database 1496595363\Database\peter piper [ppiper]\Top of Information Store\Inbox, rai error = 17
10:25:17 (813.001) (813.001) ERR - unable to create object for restore: \\NBU-EXCH\Microsoft Information Store\Mailbox Database 1496595363\Database\peter piper [ppiper]\Top of Information Store\Inbox\This <00000000bdc4b6706a47dc45ba05846ff416a1630700982b3ee3b30f6748a2337ce632f7f0760000004d5d5a0000982b3ee3b30f6748a2337ce632f7f0760000004e22040000>, rai error = 6
10:25:17 (813.001) (813.001) INF - GRE EXITING WITH STATUS = 0
10:25:17 (813.001) (813.001) INF - GRE RESTORED 1 OF 5 FILES SUCCESSFULLY
10:25:17 (813.001) (813.001) INF - GRE KEPT 0 EXISTING FILES
10:25:17 (813.001) (813.001) INF - GRE PARTIALLY RESTORED 0 FILES

10:25:17 (813.001) Status of restore from copy 1 of image created 07/02/2013 16:55:07 = the restore failed to recover the requested files

10:25:17 INF - Server status = 2810
10:25:17 INF - Server status = 5
10:25:17 (813.xxx) INF - Status = MS-Exchange-Server policy restore error.

10:25:18 (812.xxx) INF - Status = the restore failed to recover the requested files.

All user acocunts in AD which have maiboxes are enabled.

Can anyone assist with this please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

A couple of things in the log files:

requestor nbu-exch.nbu.local is not a valid server for query 223

14:18:05.019 [1892.5044] <16> main: unable to register cred

This indicates that the client you are running the restore from is not valis for the restore.

So double check the Distributed Application Mapping are correct in the Master Servers Host Properties, add the \netbackup\db\altnames\No.Restrictions file if it is not already there (on the Master) and then finally - and a little odd this one ... but if you are doing the restore from the mailbox server that you will be restoring to (you should only use this client or the Master to do the restore) then open up the BAR GUI on the mailbox server, go to File - Specify NetBackup Machines and Policy Type, click on the Servers List and add the client itself into its own list.

Once added you can close the GUI

For even more server over-rides add the mailbox servers to the "Additional Servers" list on the Master Servers Host Properties.

This all just helps if the Distributed Application Mappings are not working correctly.

The only other thing of concern is one line in the All Log Entries:

11/02/2013 00:00:28 nbuserver.nbu.local nbu-exch.nbu.local Critical 912 Backup Exchange: Unsupported schedule type

Worth taking a look at what that may mean

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

Dyneshia
Level 6
Employee

This is more than likely to be a premission or config issue.   Start with :

Confirm the Netbackup Client Service , Netbackup Legacy Client Service and the  Netbackup Legacy Network  Service is set to an account that has local domain rights and exchange admin rights.  This should be done on all nodes in the DAG and the CAS server(s).

Next confrim the configuration by reviewing :

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO73076  - Everything you need to know to get Exchange Granular backups to work

Dyneshia
Level 6
Employee

If you confrimed the above then we will need to look at the <install dir>\netbackup\logs\ncfnbbrowse

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

I am curious to know you get this errors with you try to browse backup images from Client BAR GUI or only from Master ?

did you try increasing File Browse time out in master server host properties?

what is your dedup STU? does it Pure disk or Data domain? or something els?

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

James

Following is short silent video with documented info in brief (pre-reqs)

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/videos/exchange-2010-sp2-grt-netbackup-75

Check if any minor steps is not missed in hurry

jamesrburns
Level 3

Thanks for the input so far! With regards to your questions :-

The three services mentioned (Client, legacy client & legacy network) are configured to use a Backup Domain Admin account.

I have been through the "everything you need to make GRT work" and can verify I have done all that.

I have tried using the Client BAR from both master and Media servers and also from the Exchnage server directly. This also inlvolved testing using different Dedup STU with 5000MB fragment size.

The timeout for "file browse" is set at 1800 seconds on the client settings of the Master.

The STU is software dedup (MSDO).

I have not checked the <install dir>\netbackup\logs\ncfnbbrowse at this time - can you tell me what to look for there?

Regards

jamesrburns
Level 3

Hi Jack,

Yes, I have gone through the video you mention (very good) and I have verified that I missed nothing in that.

I have also verified that I can login through OWA as all the mailbox users I am working with (including the "backup" user mailbox).

Regards

Dyneshia
Level 6
Employee

Did you check the configuration for the CAS Server since it handles the restore ?

Please upload the ncfnbbrowse and bpresolver

Ruchi
Level 5
Employee Certified

Please check on CAS server  and confirm the Netbackup Client Service , Netbackup Legacy Client Service and the  Netbackup Legacy Network is running domain account which has exchange admin (Org management) rights.

<install dir>\netbackup\logs\ncflbc and nbfsd logs as well. When browse operation is failing thats where image is getting mounted and read operation is getting performed. Nbfsd log from media server and client both would be helpful.

amol_amodkar
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Steps to configure Exchange 2010 GRT backup with win2k8

v  To configure the NetBackup service account (Exchange 2010)

1.       In Active Directory Users and Computers, select the Users directory.

2.       Right-click on the Administrator account, click Copy, and create an account for NetBackup.

Create a user account that has a mailbox with a unique name. A unique name is one that does not already exist within the Exchange Organization. This name cannot be contained as a set of characters in an existing name.

For example: EXCH1 is entered as the unique mailbox name, and other mailbox names such as EXCH1BACKUP or BACKUPEXCH1 exist. The backup or restore of individual mailboxes or both fail.

3.       Double-click on the account you created.

4.       In the Properties dialog box, click the Members Of tab.

5.       Click Add and add this account to the following groups Domain  Admins group:

·         Administrators

·         Domain Users

·         Organization Management

6.       Configure the NetBackup Client Service log on account.

Netbackup Client service must run with the domain admin account.

7.       If you receive an "Access is denied" error when you perform a restore, you may need to run the following commands:

New-ManagementRole -Name EWSImpersonationRole -Parent ApplicationImpersonation

New-ManagementRoleAssignment -Role EWSImpersonationRole -User Administrator  

EWSImpersonationRoleAssignment

where Administrator is the alias of the Active Directory account you want to use.

v  Enable Firewall port

·         Open bidirectional port for communication master/media server to client.

·         Port: 7394 (nbfsd); 2049 (nfs); 111 (portmap).

v  Enabling Services for Network File System (NFS) on Windows 2008 or Windows 2008 R2

1. Open the Server Manager.
  2. In the left pane, click Roles and, in the right pane, click Add Roles.

1. In the Add Roles Wizard, on the Before You Begin page, click Next.
  2. On the Select Server Roles page, under Roles, check the File Services check box.

1. Click Next.
  2. On the Files Services page, click Next.
  3. On the Select Role Services page, uncheck File Server.
  4. Check Services for Network File System.

1. Click Next and complete the wizard.
  2. On the media server, configure the portmap service to start automatically at server restart.

Issue the following from the command prompt:

sc config portmap start= auto

This command should return the status [SC] ChangeServiceConfig SUCCESS.

1. For each host in your configuration, choose from one of the following:
    • If you have a single host that functions as both the media server and the Exchange granular client, you can disable the Server for NFS.
    • For a host that is only the NetBackup media server, you can disable the Server for NFS and the Client for NFS.
    • For a host that is only an Exchange granular client, you can disable the Server for NFS.

v  Disabling the Server for NFS

After you enable Services for Network File System (NFS) on the media server and on the Exchange granular clients, you can disable Server for NFS.

To disable the Server for NFS

2. In the left pane, expand Configuration.
  3. Click Services.

1. In the right pane, right-click on Server for NFS and click Stop.

1. In the right pane, right-click on Server for NFS and click Properties.
  2. In the Server for NFS Properties dialog box, from the Startup type list, click Disabled.

1. Click OK.
  2. Repeat this procedure for the media server and for each Exchange granular client.

v  Disabling the Client for NFS on the media server

After you enable Services for Network File System (NFS) on a host that is only a NetBackup media server, you can disable the Client for NFS.

To disable the Client for NFS on the NetBackup media server

2. In the left pane, expand Configuration.
  3. Click Services.

1. In the right pane, right-click on Client for NFS and click Stop.
  2. In the right pane, right-click on Client for NFS and click Properties.
  3. In the Client for NFS Properties dialog box, from the Startup type list, click Disabled.
  4. Click OK.

v  Steps to create Exchange GRT policy for  Backup

• Right click on Policy & Select ‘New Policy’.

• Enter ‘Policy Name’

• Enter Policy Attributes as shown in the screen shot

• Click on the Schedule tab & create schedules as shown in the bellow screen shots.

• Click on the ‘NEW’ to create new schedule.

• Click on Client Tab & add client Name (Exchange server name).

• Click on the Backup selection tab.

• Click on ‘NEW’ add information store as shown in the screen shot.
  • Click on the ‘OK’ button to complete policy creation.

Configuring a different network port for NBFSD

NBFSD runs on port 7394. If another service uses the standard NBFSD port in your organization, you can configure the service on another port. The following procedures describe how to configure a NetBackup server to use a network port other than the default.

To configure a different network port for NBFSD (Windows server)

1. Log on as administrator on the computer where NetBackup server is installed.
  2. Open Regedit.
  3. Open the following key.:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VERITAS\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Config

1. Create a new DWORD value named FSE_PORT.
  2. Right-click on the new value and click Modify.
  3. In the Value data box, provide a port number between 1 and 65535.
  4. Click OK.

To configure a different network port for NBFSD (UNIX or Linux server)

1. Log on as root on the computer where NetBackup server is installed.
  2. Open the bp.conf file.
  3. Add the following entry, where XXXX is an integer and is a port number between 1 and 65535.

FSE_PORT = XXXX

jamesrburns
Level 3

Hi,

I attach two of the logs mentioned (other logs were not showing as present).

nbfsd & ncfnbbrowse

regards

jamesrburns
Level 3

Hi,

I have exported all log entries from the Exchange-resident NB client and attach.

jamesrburns
Level 3

Is there a particular setting or status on the CAS Server configuration that I can check?

Regards

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

A couple of things in the log files:

requestor nbu-exch.nbu.local is not a valid server for query 223

14:18:05.019 [1892.5044] <16> main: unable to register cred

This indicates that the client you are running the restore from is not valis for the restore.

So double check the Distributed Application Mapping are correct in the Master Servers Host Properties, add the \netbackup\db\altnames\No.Restrictions file if it is not already there (on the Master) and then finally - and a little odd this one ... but if you are doing the restore from the mailbox server that you will be restoring to (you should only use this client or the Master to do the restore) then open up the BAR GUI on the mailbox server, go to File - Specify NetBackup Machines and Policy Type, click on the Servers List and add the client itself into its own list.

Once added you can close the GUI

For even more server over-rides add the mailbox servers to the "Additional Servers" list on the Master Servers Host Properties.

This all just helps if the Distributed Application Mappings are not working correctly.

The only other thing of concern is one line in the All Log Entries:

11/02/2013 00:00:28 nbuserver.nbu.local nbu-exch.nbu.local Critical 912 Backup Exchange: Unsupported schedule type

Worth taking a look at what that may mean

Hope this helps

jamesrburns
Level 3

Hi,

I am generally doing restores from master, through have tried from other boxes.

I noticed the NB Client on Exchange server was 7.5 seemingly without patch 4, so have applied that, repaired Symantec VSS provider then redid backup - no difference, backup works but restore fail with "rai 17" error (the other socket error originally mentioned now seems to have gone away).

The only backup schedule in the policy is a Full Backup schedule.

I have the following set for Distrubuted Application Mappings on Master Server :-

Application Host - Exchange server with NB Client

Component Host - NB Master Server

Have I got this bit wrong?

I previously created a file called "No.Restrictions", held in this directory on Windows Master :-

c:\program files\veritas\netbackup\db\altnames

Regards

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

AH!

The distributes application mappings should look like:

DAG01 CAS01

DAG01 CAS02

DAG01 MBX01

DAG01 MBX02

DAG01 MBX03

etc. - obviously with your values - these allow the effectively redirected restores (when you restore from DAG01 it send the dat to MBX01 say)

Hope this makes sense

This could stop your restores woking as per the logs

jamesrburns
Level 3

Hi again,

This is a single-server Exchange 2010 SP2 solution with no DAG setup. Do I still need to change the Distributed Application Mappings ?

Regards

jamesrburns
Level 3

Ah, do you mean both should be set to same server effectively in this scenario for the Distributed Application mappings?

jamesrburns
Level 3

Just checked - NB will not allow both mappings to be to same Host, so I guess setting both to single Exchnage server is not answer..

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Ok - havent come across a 2010 exchange server that does not use CAS and DAG names before ....

The one difference i do notice is that the client is nbu-exch.nbu.local and the DAG is NBU-EXCH so there is a difference in name here.

There are also mentions in the logs of nbu-dc.nbu.local

Please tell us exactly what is specified in the policy and what the actual clients name is.

If you run the restore from the mailbox server itself after creating a bpresolver and tar logs folder please also send us those log files.