cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 7.5 agent on a vmware template

bradclark
Level 2

Does anyone know if there are any issues with installing the netbackup 7.5 agnet onto a vmware template that will be deployed hundreds of times? I've had problems in the past with various agents on an SOE reporting in with the hostname of the template and not the hostname of the newly deployed server. We worked out some registry hacks to fix it so that when the new server came up it would generate the new entry with the correct hostname and need to know if this may be the case with the Netbackup agents.

6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Assume NetBackup agent = NetBackup Client software for Windows.

So you install the NetBackup Client software on the template.

2 things that will stick with the template at the installation point.

• NBU Master Server
  • The computer name of this template.

The VM customization thereafter is the registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veritas\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Config\

Client_Name

Assume the Master Server will not change.

Restart the NetBackup Client service, or reboot.

This Client_Name should match the client specified in the NetBackup Policy that has this computer is covered by (of course.)

bradclark
Level 2

Yes it is the client for Windows.

The master name will not change.

So if I install it on the template, then once i provision it, have a script to change the Client_Name key to the hostname of the newly deploy VM, that will work?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes. Restart the VM or just the NetBackup Client service. Should do the trick.

AKopel
Level 6

I would also make sure the "Browser" key is changed as well (so when they open BAR, it opens with the correct client name)

The other thing we do, is to DELETE the "Clients" key (if it exists) which is the dropdown list in BAR for Clients. Probably won't exist on a 'fresh' template, but useful when RENAMING a server as well.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I used to have similar things when using Desktop Management Suite (anyone remeber that!?) using the Wininstall component.

We used to add a Run or RunOnce to the registry (HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Run\ or \RunOnce\)

This ran a batch file (held locally on the clients) that did the registry edit based on the variable %ComputerName% so when the client booted it set the name in the registry to that of the computer name.

If using the Run key it could change the name to the correct name even if it were renamed at a later date.

Anonymous
Not applicable

You could marry up that Run Once command into the Guest Customization specification for your VM Template deployment.

If it is VMware then here is the dialog...