cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 7 - Exchange 2003 cluster

JBiggins
Level 4

Netbackup 7.0 Enterprise, Windows 2003 Standard

At one of out sites there is a 3 node active, active, passive, exchange 2003 cluster configuration ( A setup I’m trying to get my head around)

All three nodes are fibre attached to a two drive LTO3 tape library.  Currently this is being backed up using Backup Exec (cluster aware) but we need to move this over to our Netbackup 7 environment. 

Is it possible to make each cluster node a SAN media server and back it up?  I’m not quite sure how this would be best configured and I could really do with some help on this one.  Can anyone provide me with some possible options?

Thanks

JB

4 REPLIES 4

JBiggins
Level 4

bump.  Anyone?

MarcoV
Level 3
Partner Accredited Certified

JB,

I think it might be a little overkill to make all nodes SAN Media server.
You could also make them SAN Client.

But are those drives dedicated assigned to exchange? And is there a particular reason for that?
You would utilize those drives much better if you assign them to your existing NBU Media servers
and configure one of those existing Media servers as an FT Media server and use the SAN Client functionality to make Exchange backups via the SAN. 

Best regards,

Marco

JBiggins
Level 4

Hi Marco,

Thank you very much for replying to this.

I can't make them SAN clients as they're all windows servers.  

The library is attached to all three exchange servers via fibre.  However, there is also another backup exec server attached to this tape library currently backing up a couple of file servers. 

I wanted to make them SAN media servers so as to take advantage of the backup speed to tape.

Any thoughts?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have a look at the NBU HA Guide.

See Appendix D:

You will find instructions how to install media server software on each node and then configure an 'Application Cluster' in NBU. You will then configure storage unit(s) using the virtual hostname(s).