Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Client Upgrade

Sameer_Nirmal
Level 4
Hi All,

I have HPUX 11.11 clients running Netbackup 4.5FP_3GA and 4.5FP_5 clients
with Netbackup 5.1 Windows server. I need to upgrade these client to 5.1.
Can any one tell me the upgrade procedure?

We need to use flashbackup as well.

Thanks
Sam
7 REPLIES 7

AKopel
Level 6
I can't speak specifically to the HPUX clients, but with windows clients, you can just install the new client in the same way that you installed the old client. I will upgrade it automatically. I believe there is an install script of some sort for Unix/Linux clients that you can run locally. I know for sure you can't do a remote install from your windows server.

Sameer_Nirmal
Level 4
Hi Aaron,

In fact I tried to install the 5.1 client s/w directly using "install" script. I see still see old version in "version" file. The NB server detects those client as 4.5

Thanks for you help,
Sam

AKopel
Level 6
It's possible it is failing and rolling back the changes. With the windows install there is a "Netbackup Install.log" file that is created that you can look at to see if there are any errors. I'm assuming there is a similar one for UNIX? For windows it is located under %TEMP%\Netbackup Install.log.

zippy
Level 6
Sam,

If you are upgrading to 5.1 only do it on the master.

If its a HPUX server then

Add a new file system to you server, call it /veritas_upgrade and shut off you old veritas, using /sbin/init.d/netbackup stop, make sure all proc's are stopped, run bpps -a. Now copy all data in /usr/openv to the new mounted "/veritas/openv file system. mv /usr/openv to /usr/openv.orig now ln -s /veritas/openv /usr/openv, now upgrade the copy.

Never upgrade the production mount, 4.x to 5.x make tons of changes, so its best to screw up the copy then the production mount. do some testing, if you like it then make it production.

let it sit for a week and do backups if the all looks good then upgrade the clients, for UNIX you can upgrade from the master, if Windows you have to do it from the client, I make the NT guy or Girl take care of that cause it requires a reboot.

here is the link you need
do the java, client and the master.

http://ftp.support.veritas.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_for_UNIX/

JD

Sameer_Nirmal
Level 4
Hi James,

Great response, The Procudure given is worth putting in my notebook.

I am currently looking into upgrading HPUX clients to 5.1 MP 4.

The Master server is already upgraded to Windows 5.1 by windows folks.

I am looking for client upgrade and back-out ( if required ) .

i am just wondering if there is similar link for NB 5.1 for details of patches etc on unix & windows environment.

Is there any subscription service offered by Veritas for patch updates etc.?

Raghava_Chary
Level 4
Sameer,

It might be because of the processes which are still running on the client.
After the netbackup client install, try to kill the process and start it.

It might work, in our environment we had not exactly similer but almost relavent to the same issue ... after the installation client was never responding to a master ... after killing the processes it worked.

You could try that.

zippy
Level 6
Sameer,

5.1 MP3 and above is a very stable release. To bad your master server is a Windows box, and HP server master is a very stable platform for backups - snaps, especially if your environment has large databases on the UNIX side,

http://ftp.support.veritas.com/pub/support/products/

and

http://forums.veritas.com/discussions/thread.jspa?messageID=4426613譵

I'm not sure of any automated e-mail or subscription, but i think it would be a good idea, EMC HP IBM do it.

JD