cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Client and Puredisk

totem
Level 2

I am evlauating Puredisk with my netbackup environment. I want to eliminate tape entirely.

Do you folks know if a remote netbackup client backing up to a media server with a Puredisk storage pool will do dedup at the client end or at the media server end.  The clients are across a WAN and this only works for us if we can reduce the data sent from the client. We are testing Puredisk right now without the netbackup portion and we seem to be getting great reduction after the initial backup. 

I now am trying to figure out if I can get BMR functionality if I include the Netbackup client on the remote end.

Ultimately having BMR functionality combined with puredisk dedup backups for remotes and OFFSITE tape once a week via Netbackup.

Any information or direction is appreciated.

Michael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6

I guess answer is No. No, PDOD plugin at media server will not de-dup any data at the client level.

From one of the white paper - 

In order to accomplish client-side deduplication, a client (or agent) must exist on the system
to be protected. This client enables data to be reduced before it ever begins its journey towards a
backup target. Most customers deploy these agents to systems in environments with limited
bandwidth or throughput capacity, typically remote office, distributed servers in a mid-size
office, or a virtual server (i.e., guest OS).
If bandwidth constraints are not an issue for the backup process, as is typical in data center
environments, then some customers prefer to deploy a target-based deduplication system
because this typically requires the least amount of change to an existing backup architecture.
There are two types of target-based deduplication systems – hardware based (appliances) and
software based. With NetBackup PureDisk 6.5 (available in early 2008), Symantec will offer a
software-based deduplication storage system, designed specifically for NetBackup, that offers
customers the ability to store their backup data, anywhere, on any type storage. With PureDisk
deduplication, customers can not only keep more backup data on disk in the data center, but
leverage the bandwidth efficiency to replicate the data to a disaster recovery site.

Message Edited by Rakesh Khandelwal on 10-01-2008 10:30 AM

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6

I don't think you will see any de-dup at client level if you are performing backup usinge Netbackup client. As of now, only PureDisk client provides dedup at client level.

Message Edited by Rakesh Khandelwal on 10-01-2008 10:39 AM

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6

I guess answer is No. No, PDOD plugin at media server will not de-dup any data at the client level.

From one of the white paper - 

In order to accomplish client-side deduplication, a client (or agent) must exist on the system
to be protected. This client enables data to be reduced before it ever begins its journey towards a
backup target. Most customers deploy these agents to systems in environments with limited
bandwidth or throughput capacity, typically remote office, distributed servers in a mid-size
office, or a virtual server (i.e., guest OS).
If bandwidth constraints are not an issue for the backup process, as is typical in data center
environments, then some customers prefer to deploy a target-based deduplication system
because this typically requires the least amount of change to an existing backup architecture.
There are two types of target-based deduplication systems – hardware based (appliances) and
software based. With NetBackup PureDisk 6.5 (available in early 2008), Symantec will offer a
software-based deduplication storage system, designed specifically for NetBackup, that offers
customers the ability to store their backup data, anywhere, on any type storage. With PureDisk
deduplication, customers can not only keep more backup data on disk in the data center, but
leverage the bandwidth efficiency to replicate the data to a disaster recovery site.

Message Edited by Rakesh Khandelwal on 10-01-2008 10:30 AM

uyen11
Not applicable

Rakesh, Have you implement PureDisk before? May I ask what is Symantec backup env look like, does not have to be at detail level. 1 master server (is it cluster) and multiple media servers with diff network interface that can communicate to  master server? or you configured as multiple master servers and couple media servers/SAN client? I heard Symantec backup env configured zillion master and plus used many diff tape labels for diff type of backup instead of use volume pool, why need to use diff physical labels? what is the benefit?

Thanks,

-UN