cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Error 14

amolkop
Level 3
Hi, We are using Netbackup Version 6.0MP5 Server. On one of NB client which is call recording server & I am getting error 14 i.e. Status = file write failed. This error occurs only for incremental backups that runs daily. This error does not come for weekend full backups. As a solution to this I have updated NIC drivers on client to latest. (Server is IBM X3650 and NIC >> Broadcom BCM5709C >> Old driver Version: 4.6.15.0 and upgraded drivers to version >> 6.2.8.0) Client OS: Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard. Changing the network port (switch port) on client will not work in my consideration because all applications (Call recording in this case) is working fine and also full backups are working fine. If anyone came accross this type of error and has a solution, pls. guide.
10 REPLIES 10

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

It's likely a directory with 1000's of small files. bpbkar need to evaluate each file (and timeout)  whereas the full just processes all of them. Use the technote below to find the directory causing the issue.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH31513

Once setup and and a new incremental backup has run the bpbkar debug log should contain the failing directory in the bottom of the file.

amolkop
Level 3

Hi,

Weekly full backups are completing successfully with exit code: 0.

Only daily incrementals are failing with exit code: 14. File write failed.

The drive on client on which backup folder resides is compressed. Backup folder contains lots of small files. Daily data increment will be around 1.5 to 2 GB.

For weekly backups the %complete process starts counting after some time but in case of daily incrementals it is stucked on 0% for hours and results in error code: 14.

Tried both VSS & VSP options.

Tried by disabling the job tracker on client. Reinstalled client.

Tried both cumulative and differential incremental backups. No go.

amolkop
Level 3

Also tried defragmenting the backup drive on the client.

Thiago_Pereira
Level 4

Have a system that is running at the time that the daily backup and does not run during your FULL backup? It may be that he is interfering in your backup process.

amolkop
Level 3

I have disabled Windows open file backup on client. But still the client is attempting to backup open files and resulting in error 14. File Write Failed. Pls. find attachment for referance.

I want to exclude open files that are in use from being backed up.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

WOFB for Clients must be disabled from the Master Server:
Host Properties -> Master -> Client Attributes -> add/select Client -> WOFB

Open files should simply result in files being skipped with a Status 1 exit code. Status 14 is caused by something else - network or file level. Extract from Troubleshooting Guide:

Message: file write failed Explanation: A write to a file or socket failed.
Possible causes include:
■ An I/O error occurred during a write to the file system.
■ Write to a socket failed. Cause of this failure: a network problem or a problem with the process that reads from the socket.
■ Writing to a full disk partition.
Recommended action:
■ Check the NetBackup Problems report for clues on where and why the problem occurred.
■ For detailed troubleshooting information, create a debug log directory for the process that returned this status code. Then retry the operation and check the resulting debug log.

As per Nicolai's suggestion on 6 June: please create bpbkar folder on the client and post log as attachment after the next failure.

amolkop
Level 3

bpbkar logs attached..

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

This looks to be timing out butr takes a long time:

10:13:51.222 AM: [22224.8724] <4> tar_backup::V_DetermineEstimate: INF - job tracking estimate: start

11:09:11.117 AM: [22224.9896] <16> dtcp_write: TCP - failure:

What i do see in the log is an idication that the NetBackup Job Tracker is running on the client which may be causing a large overhead.

So you can increase the client read timeout (client and Media Server) but it would be best to shut down and disable the NetBackup Job Tracker - this sits in the system tray as an icon - right click and close and then delete the job tracker key in the registry to prevent it starting up again after the next reboot

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\

A good tip is to always do a custom installation on a client which will not set this to run automatically - a typical installation does.

Hope this helps

amolkop
Level 3

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I have already tried disabling the tracker. No go. Still the error persists.

karlad
Level 2

I have a a similar situation with Client on NB 5.1MP5, master on 7.1, with windows 2000 as client OS.

Increased the TCP parameters in Registry,  Full backups are successfuly without any issues, incrementals fail with EC 14, show the following in detailed status"

ERR - failure reading file: D:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\logs\bpbkar\011412.LOG (WIN32 13: The data is invalid. )

FTL - tar file write error (40)"

file write failed  (14)

Any Suggestions? thanks in advance.