cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup - Host move using catalog restore method

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I have a question regarding the process of moving NBU master server between hosts using the catalog restore method.

I am moving hosts to achieve better hardware platform, move from W2K3 to W2K8R2 and subsequent move from 7504 to 7612.  I am happy enough with the procedure but have have question around the use of ALTPATH for the catalog image entries.

In this particular site there are a number of images on the C drive (images directory) but the majority use the ALTPATH and are located on the E drive.

Prior to performing the catalog restore on my new server (same name / same IP / same version of NBU installed in same path) do I need to create anything on the E drive for the images out there or will the required directories simply get restored in the correct locations ?

Thanks,

AJ

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited

The server move went OK, and my concerns around the ALTPATH requirements were resolved as follows.  I added the registry entry HKLM\SOFTWARE\Veritas\Netbackup\CurrentVersion\Paths - IMAGESDB_PATH, and set this to F:\\veritas\\images\\images (noting the double \\).

I had a concern that this reg key was noted for some time as not being supported (since 6.5 I think), with the issues being related to a DR scenario.  However, the catalog was restored and all of the images were restored to the F: location as specified in the reg key entry.

AJ.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Seems none of the 'Regulars' on Connect have personal experience with catalog recovery and ALTPATH...

All I can suggest is to do a test catalog recovery on new environment and see what the result is.

If catalog backup is done to tape and providing tape on new server for this test is an issue, then my suggestion is to attach USB drive on W2003 server, config as Basic Disk STU, take catalog backup and copy DR-file to same drive,
Map USB drive to same drive letter on W2008 server (that is off the network) and perform catalog recovery.

Let us know what the results are...

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I have done this before - but many years ago, and in that case the alternate location was a SAN attached drive.  I simply reatached the SAN drive to the new server before performing the catalog recovery so not sure if it recovered the images or not (as they were already there anyhow).  I am sure this must function as I expect, and as long as the drive location exists (i.e. E:\ drive in my case) the required directory paths and images will be created.

I will let you know how I get on - set for Tuesday.......

Thanks,

AJ

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited

The server move went OK, and my concerns around the ALTPATH requirements were resolved as follows.  I added the registry entry HKLM\SOFTWARE\Veritas\Netbackup\CurrentVersion\Paths - IMAGESDB_PATH, and set this to F:\\veritas\\images\\images (noting the double \\).

I had a concern that this reg key was noted for some time as not being supported (since 6.5 I think), with the issues being related to a DR scenario.  However, the catalog was restored and all of the images were restored to the F: location as specified in the reg key entry.

AJ.