Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Master Server 6.5 migration

NetbackupLame
Level 2

Hello Experts!

I need your help.

I would like to migrate Netbackup Master Server 6.5 to another machine with different hostname:

Current Netbackup Master Server: ver. 6.5, Host1, Windows Server 2003, x86

New Netbackup Master Server: ver. 6.5 (will be upgraded later), Host2, Windows Server 2003, x86

Which method would you recommend me to do this? I thought about restoring the Master Server to Host2 but I'm not sure if it will not cause a problem with different hostname and IP address.

I would be grateful for your advice

regards,

NL

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

It is only possible to change the hostname of a master server using the consulting services of one of Symantecs partners.

It is NOT possible for 'Technical Support' to do this :

1.  We do not have access to the special scripts required.

2.  We are not allowed to do it

Here is a technote that confirms this :

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH31385

If you have very few tapes, you could rebuild the new server with a new hostname, and Import the tapes from the old server.  However, I think you will have too many tapes to do this.

Apologies that this is not the answer you want to hear.

IF you wish to just mirate to a new server, you can build your new server with thesame hostname, and, NBU must be installed in the same location.  I would then take a catalog backup and recover this to the new server.  Next, if you wish, you upgrade the new server to x.x

This way, the original server is 'not touched' and can be restarted at any point if something goes wrong with getting the new server ready.

Regards,

Martin

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

It is only possible to change the hostname of a master server using the consulting services of one of Symantecs partners.

It is NOT possible for 'Technical Support' to do this :

1.  We do not have access to the special scripts required.

2.  We are not allowed to do it

Here is a technote that confirms this :

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH31385

If you have very few tapes, you could rebuild the new server with a new hostname, and Import the tapes from the old server.  However, I think you will have too many tapes to do this.

Apologies that this is not the answer you want to hear.

IF you wish to just mirate to a new server, you can build your new server with thesame hostname, and, NBU must be installed in the same location.  I would then take a catalog backup and recover this to the new server.  Next, if you wish, you upgrade the new server to x.x

This way, the original server is 'not touched' and can be restarted at any point if something goes wrong with getting the new server ready.

Regards,

Martin