cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Media server as Virtual

faiskhan
Level 3

what are the things not supported on Media server when its virtual i cannot find any proper document related to this.

I want SAN based backup for my Vmware

i want to use San media server feature or SAN client

Is both 2 possible in 7.6 version of Netbackup when all things are virtual means Master and Media server.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

You cannot do either of those with a virtual media server. Think about it. You would use the SAN transport method to get the vmdk's transferred to the media server at the best performance. This means pulling it directly from the SAN by having access to the VMFS datastores. So if you're media server is actually in the ESX as a virtualized guest, how will it "get out" to get access to the SAN layer. By design it is being enclosed in a virtual layer.

Secondly, SAN Clients backup to a FT media server is only supported with certain HBA's on certain operating systems. You need to configure the HBA in target mode which you cannot do in VMWARE as its just provides you with a SCSI controller, not HBA. (assigning a dedicatated HBA into the guest will also not work).

Check the note http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH127089 on virtual compatibility.

Basically, only disk based storage is supported with the exception of some virtualization technologies that can actually pass tape up to the guest.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6

Hi,

You cannot do either of those with a virtual media server. Think about it. You would use the SAN transport method to get the vmdk's transferred to the media server at the best performance. This means pulling it directly from the SAN by having access to the VMFS datastores. So if you're media server is actually in the ESX as a virtualized guest, how will it "get out" to get access to the SAN layer. By design it is being enclosed in a virtual layer.

Secondly, SAN Clients backup to a FT media server is only supported with certain HBA's on certain operating systems. You need to configure the HBA in target mode which you cannot do in VMWARE as its just provides you with a SCSI controller, not HBA. (assigning a dedicatated HBA into the guest will also not work).

Check the note http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH127089 on virtual compatibility.

Basically, only disk based storage is supported with the exception of some virtualization technologies that can actually pass tape up to the guest.

faiskhan
Level 3

Ok If my Media server i Would keep it as physical then i can go for SAn media server/San Client and my datastore would be present to my Media server and Kept offline, For San transport type.

thanks

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

the one thing that you can do for VMware backup using the virtual media server is hot-add trasport (for SAN)method or the NBD transport 

go though the below blog for details.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/nuts-and-bolts-netbackup-vmware-transport-methods-and-tcp-ports

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6

Hi,

Yes, that is correct. FT media server only support on certain operating systems and only with certain cards. Take a look at the compatibility lists before you proceed.