Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Media servers and N5000 appliance

AnKirby
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Good afternoon.

I am pretty sure this solution is feasible but was hoping to get some reassurance from the experts.

A customer currently has a simple environment running with 1 master server, there is a media server and N5000 in site A and media server and N5000 in site B.  This is all on one network and working great.

They have a partner company that needs to be backed up which currently runs on a different domain.  Onr of the options I want to propose is to creaste a trust between the domains so that either:

A)  a new media server can backup to the existing N5000 (is this possible)

or

B) that the client (VMware) backs up snapshots directly through the current media server to the 5000

If anyone has any thoughts on this I would appreciate some assistance.

Cheers

Andy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Bear in mind that everything netbackup does is via tcpip and so domains have no great meaning.

Your multi-domain environment comes into play if you add a new media server that needs to talk to the N5000 as that does work using a FQDN - though it still does everything via TCPIP so you can get away with that as well using hosts files

If you are going to use the vSphere API then you will need something that allows the authentication to the vCenter across the domains but that is the only place really that domains will come into play

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Peter_Jakobs
Level 5

Both options are possible, the best solution depends....

But if you are doing backups of virtual machines (vmware) I would place a media server (virtual or physical) in the new location and let him backup to an existing 5000 (or if you have a budget, to a new 5000 in the new office and the replicate to your main office)

Peter

AnKirby
Level 4

Thanks for your thoughts Peter.

I am waiting for them to deicde now (probably be another month or 2)

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Bear in mind that everything netbackup does is via tcpip and so domains have no great meaning.

Your multi-domain environment comes into play if you add a new media server that needs to talk to the N5000 as that does work using a FQDN - though it still does everything via TCPIP so you can get away with that as well using hosts files

If you are going to use the vSphere API then you will need something that allows the authentication to the vCenter across the domains but that is the only place really that domains will come into play

Hope this helps