cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Newbie in need of help

Newbie101
Level 3

1) Running Netbackup on a Win 2008 R2 server not sure how to perform client installs on Linux servers?

2) Want to discover what tape is holding data that was recently backed up how do I go about doing so? 

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Go to the catalog section of the admin console and search against the client involved for the last day (the default)

If the results show disk (folder name or @aaaaa or similar) then change the search to Copy 2 (top right) and search again

Now it should tell you which tape was used.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Genericus
   VIP   

simplest install:

1. create a "dummy policy" called Add.A.Client

2. add new client to that policy

3. right click on client, select "Install UNIX client software"

To find backup info, there are MANY ways 

You can select, NetBackup Management, Catalog in the java console

Select the client in the drop down list, and hit Search now

You may need to update the dates, and you can select which copy if you make multiple ones.

NetBackup 10.2.0.1 on Flex 5360, duplicating via SLP to Access 3350, duplicating via SLP to LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

Newbie101
Level 3

Thanks, so to get this backup on a tape drive to I select "Initiate Import"?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
1) You cannot push install Linux clients from a Windows master. Download Unix Clients 2 software from Symantec FileConnect using the serial number on your license key certificate or from MyVeritas ( using email address of the person /group that the license keys are registered to). Follow steps in NBU Installation Guide to install client software on Unix Clients. 2) Not too sure what you are asking here - are you looking for media-id of tape that holds data for ClientX backed up on particular day? Then open Backup Archive and Restore (BAR) GUI, select ClientX as Source Client and Destination Client and Policy type used for backup, select backup date, browse for folders/files, then select Preview Media icon to see tape number. If you just want to see which tapes were used for backups on a particular day or period, go to the Reports section of the Admin Console, select Tapes Written report. Enter date or date range. Run the report. Please use the Handy NBU Links in my signature to locate and download manuals for your NBU version.

Newbie101
Level 3

Thanks for the response Marianne, but I tried the steps you suggested however I ran into a error when I selected Preview Media, "The Preview Media request failed; no entity was found" (227) I know this probably means images are on a disk correct? 

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Probably. Are you using Disk Staging or SLP to backup to disk and then duplicate to tape? Please explain what you mean with Q2? What exactly do you need/want to do? Can you see tapes in 'Tapes Written' report?

Newbie101
Level 3

The task is to backup particular directories to tape, remove the tape and ship it off. There is already a policy in order and the incr backups run everynight unsure of how to allocate the correct tape to remove.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Go to the catalog section of the admin console and search against the client involved for the last day (the default)

If the results show disk (folder name or @aaaaa or similar) then change the search to Copy 2 (top right) and search again

Now it should tell you which tape was used.

Newbie101
Level 3

Thanks Mark and Marianne for all your help