cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup SSO questions

JBiggins
Level 4

Netbackup 7.1 Windows 2003

We have a virtualized master server at one of our sites.

We have several severs SAN attached that I want to act as SAN media servers and share a robotic tape library.  I want another server that’s also attached to this SAN to act as a Media server and backup a number of clients.

I’ve been reading through the SSO guide and have a few questions.

It mentions that the EMM server needs to be the device allocation host for the shared drives, so my understanding is that this needs to be physically attached to the SAN in order to see and control the robot.

I’m slightly confused here, does this mean I can’t do this due to the fact our master server, the EMM server, isn’t physically attached to the SAN which means it can’t act as the device allocation host? 

Or is the device allocation host different from the robot control host and I’m just miss understanding the manual? I originally assumed I’d be able to make the server which is going to act as my media server the robot control host.

Many thanks

JB

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Just select the media servers where devices are attached/visible.

This is how we configure at customer sites where the master do not have any tape drives.

Which version of the manual are you looking at?

I don't see what you see in NBU 7.1 Shared Storage Guide  http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC3659

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Marianne
Level 6

Correct - the Device Allocation host is different from the Robot Control host.

The master server is by default the EMM server as well as Device Allocation host. No need for master to see or control the robot.

JBiggins
Level 4

Many thanks Marianne.

So it’s probably because in the example they use on page 138 of the SSO guide shows the master server being physically attached to the tape library.  In which case, just to confirm, I can use my media server as the robot control host and my master server can remain virtual and doesn’t need to be attached to the SAN with the robot on?

JB

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

... correct

JBiggins
Level 4

One other question, if you don't mind Marianne.  

When I run the device configuration wizard after installing NBU on all the servers, the SSO manual (page  127) states that I need to select the master server as well as all the media severs that share the robot.  

Because my master server isn't attached to the shared robot is there any need for me to select the master server?

Marianne
Level 6

Just select the media servers where devices are attached/visible.

This is how we configure at customer sites where the master do not have any tape drives.

Which version of the manual are you looking at?

I don't see what you see in NBU 7.1 Shared Storage Guide  http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC3659

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I dont remember having to select the Master for SSO to work correctly - but I do always make sure I add the SSO license locally on all Media Servers

Master Servers tend to be dedicated these days so I am sure I would have done this without scanning the Master - but happy for anyone else to tell me otherwise.

EMM dos the allocations but I really dont thing the Master has to be included if it cannot see the drives

The explanation from the Admin Guide 2 is:

About SSO and the NetBackup EMM server
To coordinate network-wide allocation of tape drives, the NetBackup Enterprise
Media Manager (EMM) manages all shared tape requests in a SAN.EMMresponds
to requests from multiple instances of NetBackup master servers, media servers,
and NetBackup SAN media servers.
For shared drive configurations, the host that is configured as the EMM server is
also known as the device allocation host.
See “About the device allocation host” on page 57.
EMMmaintains shared drive and host information. Information includes a list of
hosts that are online and available to share a drive and which host currently has
the drive reserved. The Media Manager device service (ltid) requests shared drive
information changes.

JBiggins
Level 4

I only have the 7.0 SSO guide, on page 127

Perhaps I'm misinterpreting it :(

About configuring SSO in NetBackup

Symantec recommends that you use the Device Configuration Wizard to configure
Shared Storage Option in NetBackup. Identifying devices when you configure
shared devices is difficult, and the wizard increases the likelihood of a successful
configuration.
With the Device Configuration wizard, you should configure all shared drives
from one host (usually the master server). Launch the wizard only one time with
the current host set to the master server. You then indicate a list of media servers
or NetBackup SAN media servers (in the Device Hosts screen). The wizard
configures devices on all of the media servers you selected, and these hosts read
the shared configuration information.

Marianne
Level 6

As far as I am concerned, the manual refers to a situation where the master is also a media server.