cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup backup VMware View

pgm10s
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified

i have to try to backup vmware view using mode link clone.

follow information

Master Server: Netbackup 7.5.0.3

VMware View 5.0

Guest have Virtual Disk 1 = OS(Link Clone)

Virtual Disk 2 = User Data (Persistent Disk)

i can backup and restore not have ERROR but when i try to restore MS-Windows Policy i can see only C:.

that i don't want C: but i want to restore D:(Virtual Disk 2 mean User Data).

anyone facting this error same me.

2 REPLIES 2

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

NetBackup has limitation with VMWare independent disk

excerpt from Adming guide

NetBackup for VMware cannot back up the data on an independent disk,because an independent disk cannot be captured with a snapshot. The backup succeeds but the backup image contains no data for the independent disk. To back up the data on an independent disk, install a NetBackup client on the virtual machine. You can configure NetBackup to back up the virtual machine and any independent disks as if the client was installed on a physical host. You can restore the virtual machine and then restore the independent disk as a separate job

Try installing client within guest VM and check if you are able to restore content.

Anonymous
Not applicable

the View docs state:

When you create dedicated-assignment desktop pools, View Composer can also optionally create a separate persistent virtual disk for each virtual desktop. The end user's Windows profile and application data are saved on the persistent disk. When a linked clone is refreshed, recomposed, or rebalanced, the contents of the persistent virtual disk are preserved. VMware recommends that you keep View Composer persistent disks on a separate datastore. You can then back up the whole LUN that holds persistent disks.

So you would either use an agent in the VM (seems wasteful, and negates the idea of a thin linked clone, that is lean and 'clean') or use SAN technology to backup the datastore holding the PD's. Replication of the LUN?

Maybe use Folder Redirection as much as possible in the linked clone so that not much is stored on the persistent disk.