cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup bprestore option question

djembe65
Level 3

I am testing an open source program called Relax and Recover to use NetBackup to do Bare Metal Linux OS restores.   The product creates a rescue ISO file I can boot from which contains all Netbackup client commands and configs that enables a Netbackup bprestore to the OS.  I have tested this and the functionality works good.

The program utilizes a bprestore command as follows:

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bprestore -B -H -L /tmp/bplog.restore.1 -8 -R /tmp/nbu_change_file.1 -t 0 -w 0 -s 02/22/2011 / !/mnt/local  

I have been trying to figure out what the "-8"  does in this bprestore command??  Can't find any reference in the bprestore man pages on this.

5 REPLIES 5

Will_Restore
Level 6

since -L progress_log -en produces log in English

-L progress_log -8  produces log in some other format ?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

It must me a undocumented qualifyer, played around with bprestore and only the value "-8" is accepted.

With VERBOSE = 5 there is no difference in the bprestore debug log for command with or without -8 specified.

djembe65
Level 3

Thanks.. I have no idea what it does either.  I am working with the developer to submit some changes to the Netbackup interface portions of the Relax and Recover program.  http://rear.sourceforge.net   This actually is a great open source program that I am successfully using to do  Bare Metal restores our Linux servers that are backed up to our Enterprise NetBackup Solution.  I am working on enhancements that will allow to exclude files on the restore and to allow point-in-time restores as well.  This is all done utilizing a mkrescue ISO file that the ReaR program creates on the Linux client.   You then boot off  of that ISO  you have a "rescue CD" type of system running and all the "/"  OS files are restored to our root disks utilizing a different mountpoint.  All NetBackup Client executable and definitions are in that mkrescue ISO that allows the bprestore program to restore to the separately mounted root disks. 

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

The "-8" flag has something to do with UTF8 (vs. Unicode I think?) output.  I can't remember whether it enables it or disables it.  You could probably do some A-to-B tests and find out quicker than I can.  Almost 100% of the time, it should make absolutely no difference in your output unless you're backing up some really funkily named files.  Or maybe speak another language.  ;)

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

I think it has to do with lanuange.

as the -L can have a -en to have it in english.  Where MAYBE the code -en is really -8 for english.

from man page

Include the -en option to generate a log entry in English. The name of the log contains the string _en. This option is useful to support any personnel that assist in a distributed environment where different locales may create logs of various languages

You could change it to a different number and see if it comes out in a different language wink.