cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup client software installation

jsnow0445
Level 0

Hi Everyone 

I am very new to this Veritas NetBackup technology and trying to understand how this backup thing works . I just installed Linux based Netbackup 5250 ( 4.0 version ) hardware server in our environment. Master and Media are on single server. I am accessing this hardware server by installing Java Remote Console software (9.1.0.1)  on my windows laptop. I have to take backups of some of our Linux based VMs on that hardware 5250. Can someone please tell me if I have to install any client Netbackup client software on all of these Linux based VMs ? as right now when I tried to select the client in a backup policy ,  it shows me no option and I am seeing only my laptop so I am wandering if i have to install any Netbackup client software on all these VM machines in order to make them connect to my hardware 5250 Veritas device so that I can select the respective machine and their respective directories of whom i want to take backup ? 

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

follow the guidelines in NetBackup for VMware Admin Guides, these docs are publicly googleable/available. Simple answer is that you dont need backup SW within VMs, but there are some exceptions, like VMs with backed up DBs.

I also recommend you to take some basic training, self-study is not an optimal approach for NetBackup.

Michal

DPeaco
   VIP   

You do not "have" to install the NBU client software on each vm host but for the typical file level recovery/restore for a vm, you will need the client piece installed. Add the linux vm host name to a dummy backup policy, ftp the client s/w bundle over to the linux vm that you are going to install the s/w on, gunzip the bundle, then untar the gunzipped tarball (tar xvf bundle_name.tar), then cd into the newly created folder of the client software and be logged on as root when doing all this, execute the install script (ie ./install) and take the defaults.

That's the "short list" of getting this going for you as there are several things that may need to be checked/done to get this to 100% done for you, but this is a great start.

Thanks,
Dennis