cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup console 6.5.6 slow

Noor_Toorabally
Level 4

Hello,

I am having 2 issues, while logging on the Netbackup Administration Java console, I get slowness the first time I click on Activity Monitor. about 3minutes, even though the job list is empty.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have nothing in the /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/nbconsole, directory is empty sith verbose = 5

Also the  nbj.conf is as follows:

[root@sesegx10 java]# cat nbj.conf
# $Revision: 1.9.12.4 $
#***************************************************************************
#* $VRTScprght: Copyright 1993 - 2009 Symantec Corporation, All Rights Reserved $ *
#***************************************************************************

BPJAVA_PORT=13722
VNETD_PORT=13724
NBJAVA_CONNECT_OPTION=1
NBJAVA_CLIENT_PORT_WINDOW=0 0
INSTALL_PATH=/usr/openv/java
INITIAL_MEMORY=128M
MAX_MEMORY=256M
MEM_USE_WARNING=80
FORCE_IPADDR_LOOKUP=0
USE_NBJAUTH_WITH_ENHAUTH=0
NBJAVA_CORBA_DEFAULT_TIMEOUT=60
NBJAVA_CORBA_LONG_TIMEOUT=1800
FORCE_RESET=1
VNETD_CONNECT_RETRY_TIMEOUT=60

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Noor_Toorabally
Level 4

I check the name lookup and found 2 entries were not in our DNS reserve name lookup. I added them and all the clients responds correctly by the commands:

bpclntcmd -ip client;bpclntcmd -hn  client

But the activity monitor still lags on the fist click.

I disables reverse name lookup on the hostproperties, master server, networks, and it solved the problem.

I dont understand why the problem persisted even though all the clients responded on reserve lookup. May be there are more clients somewhere that netbackup tries to resolve since I have some logs like :

admin/log.071212:13:04:37.161 [7594] <2> hosts_equal: gethostbyname failed for seprdx03: HOST_NOT_FOUND (1)

seprdx03 being an old deleted client.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited

What is recent changes done in infrastructure ?

from how many days you are facing this issue ?

Noor_Toorabally
Level 4

No recent change apart adding more unix users in the /usr/openv/java/auth.conf

We have been facing this issue for about 3weeks.

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited

Is your Netbackup Admin console working fine ?

hav u tried to install NBU java console on other desktop & check ?

Noor_Toorabally
Level 4

Yes, the console works fine, the only slowness is the activity monitor. I installed the java console on a windows but the same issue. I tried to delete everuthing in the /usr/openv/netbackup/db/jobs except the bpjobd.db and jobid, but no change.

I suspected missing media server which was wrongly decommisionned, but the command nbemmcmd -listhosts shows only the good media servers. I keep on trying to find the cause, if I could find some logs to help if would be easier, but no idea why the /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/nbconsole is empty with verbose=5 in bp.conf

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Is the decommisionned server still listed in bp.conf/vm.conf on the master/media server ?. Was the nbdecommission tool used ?

Have you check name server lookup work as intended ?

Noor_Toorabally
Level 4

I check the name lookup and found 2 entries were not in our DNS reserve name lookup. I added them and all the clients responds correctly by the commands:

bpclntcmd -ip client;bpclntcmd -hn  client

But the activity monitor still lags on the fist click.

I disables reverse name lookup on the hostproperties, master server, networks, and it solved the problem.

I dont understand why the problem persisted even though all the clients responded on reserve lookup. May be there are more clients somewhere that netbackup tries to resolve since I have some logs like :

admin/log.071212:13:04:37.161 [7594] <2> hosts_equal: gethostbyname failed for seprdx03: HOST_NOT_FOUND (1)

seprdx03 being an old deleted client.

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Noor, 

Try running nbdna on the Master server.

Unix: /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/support/nbdna

Windows: <install_path>\veritas\netbackup\bin\support\nbdna

in output\nbdna\ there will be a archive file, unzip it and take a look at the .html file in a web browser.

It will list any clients/media servers it has issues resolving and also a list of ports that are not open.

You can ignore some of the media server port issues as they will be remote admin console clients.

May give you an indication where that host 'seprdx03' is being picked up from

inn_kam
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

resolve ... old deleted client."

Have a look in:

NetBackup Management>Master Servers>master_server>Properties>Servers

NetBackup Management>Master Servers>master_server>Properties>Client Attributes

NetBackup Management>Master Servers>master_server>Properties>Firewall

for any reference to old decommissioned clients - had (or heard of) some issue quite a while back which was resolved by removing any 'defunct' clinets from one of these areas.

Noor_Toorabally
Level 4

NO 'defunct' clients from one of those areas.

Howerver the nbdna reveals some 'defunct' clients in the bpsyncinfo, which I am not too sure where to remove it from.

TYPE HOSTNAME TIME LOOKUP FAILED PORTS WHERE

CLIENT gir-dappin70 1342530688.30938
Tuesday, July 17, 2012 at 09:11:28.30938 AM
FAILED (1)   bpsyncinfo

bpsyncinfo   hostname found in legacy catalog backup: 'bpsyncinfo'.