Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup - dedicated drives for backup

NetbackupLame
Level 2

Hi,

I'm new to Netbackup and I need a help.

I have a robot library with 6 LTO4 drives. I would like to dedicated 2 of them exclusively  for an application backup.

How could I achieve it ? Is it possible to create a Storage Unit which consists of 2 selected drives?

regards,

John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

So you have 6 dives

Create a storage unit with 4 drives

create a storage unit with 2 drives

The policy for the "special" application backup - set it to use the storage unit with 2 drives

All other policies - set to use the storage unit with 4 drives.

Now all other policies will use 4 drives and 4 only

the special policy will use 2 only

Note:  you are not setting 'specific' drives to be use - like drive 1 and drive 2,  just setting the number of drives - as NB likes to even out the use of the drives to not over use 1 and never use another.

I want to edit that last statement ( that would apply if you use SSO where all media servers can use all drives)

if you do not share your drives then it might be specific drives if your storage unit is using drives that are only assigned/attached to one media server.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Lee_C
Level 5

<posted to incorrect thread - contents edited out to avoid confusion>

RonCaplinger
Level 6

J's idea is the best option, IMHO. 

But if you don't want to use drive sharing, and you don't mind dedicating two specific drives, you can modify the Drive Type field to set two drives to, say, HCART, and the other four drives to HCART3.  Just go into the "Devices" option un the Java GUI, select "Drives, then the drive you want to change, and right-click it.  Click on "Change", then change the Drive type and re-check the "Drive is in a roboti library" box.  No need to cycle LTID or any services.  This field doesn't mean the drive is  LTO3 or LTO4, it is really just a label you can use to divide up your tape drives between, say, LTO2, LTO3, & LTO4 drives in the same library, if needed.

Then create a storage unit for the HCART drives and one for the HCART3 drives. Modify the policies you want to use the two dedicated drives by specifying the Storage Unit that uses the HCART drives.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

So you have 6 dives

Create a storage unit with 4 drives

create a storage unit with 2 drives

The policy for the "special" application backup - set it to use the storage unit with 2 drives

All other policies - set to use the storage unit with 4 drives.

Now all other policies will use 4 drives and 4 only

the special policy will use 2 only

Note:  you are not setting 'specific' drives to be use - like drive 1 and drive 2,  just setting the number of drives - as NB likes to even out the use of the drives to not over use 1 and never use another.

I want to edit that last statement ( that would apply if you use SSO where all media servers can use all drives)

if you do not share your drives then it might be specific drives if your storage unit is using drives that are only assigned/attached to one media server.