cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup has determined that the services Adaptive Server Anywhere - VERITAS_NB on the host xxx are not running

simon_white
Level 3
We are running Netbackup 6.5.4 on a Windows 2003 Server. The software is installed on the e: drive and we recently ran out of space. Netbackup crashed and we can no longer restart it (we get the above message). I'm new to Netbackup and Windows so don't really know where to start looking. Can anyone gives me some clues where to look to start to debug the error. 
9 REPLIES 9

lu
Level 6
The main database is corrupt ?

lu
Level 6
Could you check if your vxdbms.conf seems to be corrupt or not ?

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
"...
Starting in NetBackup 6.0 MP3 there is a safety measure designed to prevent corruption within the ASA Database. If the disk capacity of the volume housing the ASA Database fills beyond 1% available capacity, the ASA Database will be shut down before the disk fills to capacity. This prevents corruption of the ASA Database due to a pending disk full condition.
..."

simon_white
Level 3
The e: drive now has 6Gb free in it. The vxdbms.conf doesn't look corrupt - i can view the file and it appears ok via Notepad. Would a reboot of the server be worth a try?

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
Location <Install_Path>\VERITAS\NetBackupDB\log\server.log ??

simon_white
Level 3

E:\\Netbackup\\NetBackupDB\data\NBDB.log is an invalid transaction log

How do I fix this?

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
Tech Note: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/305861.htm

Which is NOT for Windows & does NOT have this particular error (so not good so far!), but it does mention re-creating a corrupt NBDB.log.

You may very well want to place a call with Symantec & see what they suggest, or at least have them there if you go through this procedure - better to be safe than sorry.

***EDIT***
Sorry, I did find this T/N too:

GENERAL ERROR: The NBDB database transaction log (NBDB.log) may become too large or corrupt for pro...

simon_white
Level 3
I renamed the NBDB.log and the server started successfully and recreated the transaction log file.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
:D