cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup monitoring Netapp Snapshots

MRotheram
Level 2

Hi,

I read that there will be intergration between Netbackup and Netapp, does anyone have details showing what this integration allows?

I am looking for a way of getting my Netapp snapshots monitored and reported on via my NBU master console.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

so did a little digging.

As Martin says, looks like NB7.5 Replication Director & there is a little documentation out there.

From the 7.5 Release Notes:

"Unify Snapshots and Backup: NetBackup 7.5 includes NetBackup Replication Director to centralize management and speed the recovery of hundreds of replicated Snapshots. Replication Director leverages NetBackup’s 10 years of experience with snapshots and the advanced API in Symantec’s popular OpenStorage (OST) interface that can integrate with storage-efficient NetApp Snapshots and replication (SnapVault® and SnapMirror®) for faster backup and recovery. Replication Director gives organizations the speed of Snapshots with the centralized management and recovery capabilities of NetBackup."

& digging a little further, from Symantec NetBackup Replication Director 7.5 Solutions Guide

"Snapshot copy management.
Use NetBackup to manage the entire lifecycle of the snapshot. For example, create a storage lifecycle policy that contains operations that act as instructions to create the initial snapshot, to create copies by duplication or replication, and to configure the retention period for each of the copies. Additional operations can be included in the SLP that create a backup from the snapshot, index the snapshot, and more."

Maybe this is what you are looking at?

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I'm not an NDMP expert, but ...  I believe there is a level of reporting on 7.5 if using replication director.

Could be worth a peep in the manuals ...

Martin

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

OK forget the manuals, not much in there ...

From internal only doc ... (I can't copy/ paste this, will give outline)

Auto snapshot management - RD elimiates requirement for separate array SS managment.  RD controls the entire SS process for backup/ restore.

NBU can create/ maintain and expire SS automatically.

Hope this helps.

Martin

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

so did a little digging.

As Martin says, looks like NB7.5 Replication Director & there is a little documentation out there.

From the 7.5 Release Notes:

"Unify Snapshots and Backup: NetBackup 7.5 includes NetBackup Replication Director to centralize management and speed the recovery of hundreds of replicated Snapshots. Replication Director leverages NetBackup’s 10 years of experience with snapshots and the advanced API in Symantec’s popular OpenStorage (OST) interface that can integrate with storage-efficient NetApp Snapshots and replication (SnapVault® and SnapMirror®) for faster backup and recovery. Replication Director gives organizations the speed of Snapshots with the centralized management and recovery capabilities of NetBackup."

& digging a little further, from Symantec NetBackup Replication Director 7.5 Solutions Guide

"Snapshot copy management.
Use NetBackup to manage the entire lifecycle of the snapshot. For example, create a storage lifecycle policy that contains operations that act as instructions to create the initial snapshot, to create copies by duplication or replication, and to configure the retention period for each of the copies. Additional operations can be included in the SLP that create a backup from the snapshot, index the snapshot, and more."

Maybe this is what you are looking at?

MRotheram
Level 2

Thanks for the info, it sounds like the capability is there to do what I need. I will try get my Symantec contacts for some more detailed info, I asked earlier this year but I dont think much was documented about it at the time.

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Mrotheram,

The lack of documentation was possibly because this is new in 7.5 which has just been released in the last few months.

If you find "the" solution in Replication Director it would be interesting to hear you comments and experience, perhaps you could revisit this post?

If this thread is finished for now could you mark one of the posters (above) comments as solution. The one that helped.

Stanleyj
Level 6

Where exactly does the plug-in need to be installed?  When i try and configure a new storage server it tells me that i need to have the plugin installed on a media server.  But when i go to install it on a media server i get an error saying i need to install DFM.

This plugin is very confusing.

The_Skip
Level 3
Employee Accredited Certified

Symantec NetBackup Replication Director requires NetBackup 7.5.0.1 (or later) and the NetApp Plug-in for Symantec NetBackup.

The NetApp plug-in for Symantec NetBackup is installed on the OnCommand Server.

I posted some information here that may help as well:

http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/netapp-plugin-nbu-75