cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup port requirements for bplist command

PaulStevens
Level 4
Partner

I have a media server in the DMZ that has these ports open to master (bi-directional)  1556 13724 13786

My DBA wants to be able use bplist in a script from a DMZ client to verify certain files have already been backed up prior to purging them.

Does the client need those ports to the master as well?  Same ports?  

We would prefer to have a way to script this on the client without having to open more firewall ports...   is there a way to run it on the client, but go through the media server?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

1556 is probably open but not 13724 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Thiago_Ribeiro
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi @PaulStevens,

Can you check these ports? 

Master ==> Client

Media ==> Client

Client ==> Master and Media

NetBackup Client Ports.JPG\

I have a question, do you mentioned in your post, the port 13786, I know these port belongs to OpsCenter Server. Are you using this port for Netbackup?
OpsCenter_Port.JPG

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6

No, ports need to be opened or you need to run it on the media server. Is it Unix/Linux, then you can maybe remote execute it or use ssh?

Marianne
Level 6
bplist on the client needs to connect to bprd on the master server. Only port 1556 needs to be open in both directions. Nothing else.

I have a request into the network team to review the firewall rules to see which ports are open.

I am able to connect to the client from the admin console.....   admin console is not in DMZ, these clients are in DMZ.  So that should mean that 1556 is open both directions?

Client to media server, ports are not an issue since the media server is in te DMZ as well

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6

1556 is probably open but not 13724 

Marianne
Level 6

You need to ensure that the firewall allows comms to be initiated from the client.

As from NBU 7.0.1, port 1556 will be tried first. If that fails 13724 will be tried.

Please run this command on the client to simulate connection attempt to the master server:
bpclntcmd -pn

Good to ensure that bprd log folder exists on the master (restart NBU after creating the folder) to track connection attempts from client(s).

All ports were fine...  bpclntcmd and bptestbpcd all returned what they were supposed to.

Turned out to be the wrong CLIENT name in the clients bp.conf, a result of cloning the server from another.  Fixed that and everythingis working now.