cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup problems

David_wolenik
Level 3
I am running Netbackup 6 mp1 and am having lots of problems.  Here are a couple of questions for the experts:
1) there is a file located on the root of C drive that keeps increasing in size and killing the OS.  It is located in "C:\program files\Veritas\netbackup\db\images"  There are lots of folders in there, one for each backup and they keep getting bigger.  Is there a way to set this up on a different drive?
2) Should I put Netbackup on Active directory or leave it as a workgroup?  Why?
Thanks in advance!
5 REPLIES 5

Alex_Vasquez
Level 6
David,
Where is your Netbackup installed to? From the sounds of it, you have netbackup installed on your System volume (where your windows OS installation files are). I would recommend moving your db/images directory to another partition if possible. Your netbackup install and OS install, generally, should never be on the same partition if it can be helped at all. The folder you are asking about contains the backup images for your netbackup clients and policies. Basically this is one piece of your netbackup catalog database. It will continue to grow, gradually, as you continue your backup operations.

I recommend reading through this linked doc.
http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/875-3773-10

Stumpr2
Level 6
DOCUMENTATION: How to change the location of the Veritas NetBackup (tm) catalog on a Windows Master Server, without using the ALTPATH file.

Chuck_Stevens
Level 6
To answer your second question, NetBackup doesn't really care if it's on a Domain or in a workgroup.  It's more a security question; if it were me, I'd join it to the domain.  Just seems the easier choice, and there's more accountability with domain accounts than with local accounts.

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6

@David wolenik wrote:
1) there is a file located on the root of C drive that keeps increasing in size and killing the OS. It is located in "C:\program files\Veritas\netbackup\db\images" There are lots of folders in there, one for each backup and they keep getting bigger. Is there a way to set this up on a different drive?

This is the directory where NetBackup keep records for what was backup from which client and for how long it need to keep the record for the same, depending upon your retentions and number of clients you may see this directory growing tremendously over the period of time. This directory is part of NetBackup catalog (heart and soul of NBU).

As a best practice you should always keep your catalog in a partition/drive/filesystem other than your system/OS.

Follow the document Bob has referred and you would be able to move it to different partition/drive.

@David wolenik wrote:
2) Should I put Netbackup on Active directory or leave it as a workgroup? Why?

Doesn't matter unless you are trying for enhanced security (Access Authorization). In general NetBackup does not look for a user account to start any process.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Expect this folder to grow and grow and grow into many GB's according to what Rakesh stated plus the number of individual files that are backed up are a big factor. There is an entry for each file. If you got a server with millions of files then expect that particular sub folder for that client to grow like Pinnochio's nose.