cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup taking down one tape drive

Colin_North
Level 6

Netbackup 7.1.0.2 / Windows 2008 server x64 / Dell ML6020 with 6 LTO3 drives.

For the last couple of weeks Netbackup has been down'ing one of my tape drives pretty much every night. But it's not happening every single night. When the error occurs I see a message like the following in the Problems report and the media server's application event log:

TapeAlert Code: 0x1f, Type: Critical, Flag: HARDWARE B, from drive  (index -1)

I can reset and then up the drive via the admin console, and run manual backups and then scheduled backups will run without issues. But on other occassions overnight backups run and the drive is taken down by NBU.

The Dell management console and the hardware itself does not show any errors. I did open a case with Symantec, but they dismissed it and said it's a hardware fault and to contact the vendor. I spoke to Dell who have been very helpful, but it's definetely looking like a NBU issue.

Any ideas on what else to look at?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You have a hardware issue with the drive.

0x1F: 'Hardware B: Tape drive has a problem not read/write related', 

This message has actually been generated by te tapedrive, as the firmware has detected that there is some problem.

No matter what the hardware vendor may say, this issue cannot be caused by NBU, it is impossible.

NBU is only reporting the error.

The TAPEALERT is actually geberated and held on the tapedrive (firmware/ memory), the codes are onlt read and displayed by NBU.

From http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH169477

TapeAlert / Tape Alert

A "tape alert" message is a critical, warning, or informational alert that occurs due to a tape drive or robotic library hardware event. These "tape alert" messages are stored on the tape drive or robotic library. Applications like NetBackup query the tape device or robotic library for these "tape alert" messages and display the "tape alerts" to the user. "Tape alert" messages are reported in the NetBackup bptm log The tape alert technology detects and logs hardware and media errors.

It is important to remember that while NetBackup displays these "tape alerts," the alerts occur due to a tape drive or robotic library hardware event. Check the Event Viewer /system log for any hardware related errors.  Contact the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) for support.

As a TapeAlert is sent from the drive it is impossible that this can be caused by NetBackup.

For example:

Oct 11 08:59:31 media bptm[3771]: [ID 228150 daemon.warning] TapeAlert Code: 0x03, Type: Warning, Flag: HARD ERROR, from drive TLD0_LTO4_DRIVE1 (index 4), Media Id R0TP01

To further investigate TapeAlert issues, Symantec recommends contacting your hardware vendor.

Regards,

Martin

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited

It seems H/W issue but, below  things need to check ...

Is that drive asking for cleaning ??

Is tape drive drivers update as recent version ?

What the OS logs says at the time of drive down issue ?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
The TapeAlert is generated by the hardware itself, not NBU. NBU is merely REPORTING the error. If you Google the TapeAlert error code, you will see that it has nothing to do with NBU or any other backup application. Think about this logically: why would the SAME bptm process decide to discriminate against one particular drive?

mansoor_sheik
Level 6
Certified

Hi,

I have encountered the above issue in our environment, we have HP LTO4 ( EML e series Library) Drive. I logged a case with HP and vendor suggested to upgrade the drive to latest firmware version. After the upgrdation the drive worked fine.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You have a hardware issue with the drive.

0x1F: 'Hardware B: Tape drive has a problem not read/write related', 

This message has actually been generated by te tapedrive, as the firmware has detected that there is some problem.

No matter what the hardware vendor may say, this issue cannot be caused by NBU, it is impossible.

NBU is only reporting the error.

The TAPEALERT is actually geberated and held on the tapedrive (firmware/ memory), the codes are onlt read and displayed by NBU.

From http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH169477

TapeAlert / Tape Alert

A "tape alert" message is a critical, warning, or informational alert that occurs due to a tape drive or robotic library hardware event. These "tape alert" messages are stored on the tape drive or robotic library. Applications like NetBackup query the tape device or robotic library for these "tape alert" messages and display the "tape alerts" to the user. "Tape alert" messages are reported in the NetBackup bptm log The tape alert technology detects and logs hardware and media errors.

It is important to remember that while NetBackup displays these "tape alerts," the alerts occur due to a tape drive or robotic library hardware event. Check the Event Viewer /system log for any hardware related errors.  Contact the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) for support.

As a TapeAlert is sent from the drive it is impossible that this can be caused by NetBackup.

For example:

Oct 11 08:59:31 media bptm[3771]: [ID 228150 daemon.warning] TapeAlert Code: 0x03, Type: Warning, Flag: HARD ERROR, from drive TLD0_LTO4_DRIVE1 (index 4), Media Id R0TP01

To further investigate TapeAlert issues, Symantec recommends contacting your hardware vendor.

Regards,

Martin

NBU35
Level 6
Same issue we are facing , tape drive is part of NDMP STU and working fine some time and some times cause EC84. Following we are find in /var/adm/messages Jul 4 04:58:10 weabsunprd08 bptm[623]: [ID 995414 daemon.warning] TapeAlert Code: 0x03, Type: Warning, Flag: HARD ERROR, from drive LTO4_NAC_I2K_D07 (index 31), Media Id W45684 Jul 4 04:58:10 weabsunprd08 bptm[623]: [ID 367680 daemon.crit] TapeAlert Code: 0x04, Type: Critical, Flag: MEDIA, from drive LTO4_NAC_I2K_D07 (index 31), Media Id W45684 Jul 4 04:58:10 weabsunprd08 bptm[623]: [ID 859166 daemon.crit] TapeAlert Code: 0x06, Type: Critical, Flag: WRITE FAILURE, from drive LTO4_NAC_I2K_D07 (index 31), Media Id W45684 Jul 4 05:00:08 weabsunprd08 ltid[8118]: [ID 119921 daemon.error] Operator/EMM server has DOWN'ed drive LTO4_NAC_I2K_D07 (device 31) Jul 4 05:47:22 weabsunprd08 ltid[8118]: [ID 664551 daemon.notice] Operator/EMM server has UP'ed drive LTO4_NAC_I2K_D07 (device 31)

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

It is very very simple:

Jul 4 04:58:10 weabsunprd08 bptm[623]: [ID 995414 daemon.warning] TapeAlert Code: 0x03, Type: Warning, Flag: HARD ERROR, from drive LTO4_NAC_I2K_D07 (index 31), Media Id W45684

You have a hardware issue.

In NetBackup, there are not too many times that we can say we are  100% certain, but this is one of them.

You do not have a NetBackup issue, you have a hardware (or firmware) issue.

The issue is given to you in the tapealert message, which, as I explained above - is generated by the tapedrive firmware when it detects some issue.

This TN http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH169477

... explains tapealert and meny other drive/ library issues.

It was created with the purpose of deflecting calls to the right people, that is the hardware vendors.  Yes, there will be a few exceptions, the common exceptions are listed in the TN, but even then, the troubleshooting should start at the hardware /os level.

Martin

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have a look at what tapealert.org says about the errors coming from your tape drive:

http://www.tapealert.org/archives/184

Please give these TapeAlerts to your hardware vendor and ask them to explain how this is a software issue.

NBU is DOWN'ing the drive BECAUSE of these errors. The order of events says it all....

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

From tapealert.org

"A “tape alert” message is a critical, warning, or informational alert that occurs due to a tape drive or robotic library hardware event. These “tape alert” messages are stored on the tape drive or robotic library. Applications like Backup Exec™ orSANtools® SMARTMon-UX query the tape device or robotic library for these “tape alert” messages and display the “tape alerts” to the user."

This detail, from the tapealert.org site, explains exactly what I explained.

Key points:

"occurs due to a tape drive or robotic library hardware event"

"Applications like Backup Exec™ orSANtools® SMARTMon-UX query the tape device"

So, this shows with no doubt, that backup applications do not cause tapealerts.

As marianne says:

"Please give these TapeAlerts to your hardware vendor and ask them to explain how this is a software issue."

Martin