cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup with MS SQL

kayak_pc
Level 3
Partner Accredited Certified

i have an issue going about configuring netbackup to backup MS SQL. 

The background of the architecture is are follows:

• 3 x servers running MS SQL 2008 R2
  • 3 servers are in a MS Cluster
  • total of 4 database running 1 instance each. 
  • each database have its individual virtual name and virtual ip. 
  • no virtual name was configured for alias to all 4 database. 

i need some help or advice in configuring the backup strategy for the above mentioned architecture. 

any pros out there can help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

You don't need to enter any username and password into that section. Just leave it blank. Select the virtual host, select the instance, and hit apply. Then go and create the BCH files. Then change the host again, select the other instance, create the BCH. Do that for all the host (adding the credentials). NetBackup will keep the login information and save it in the registry.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne
Level 6

Configure 4 different policies for each virtual name. Use virtual names as client names in policies.

Create backup scripts on the shared disk for each instance. The script will contain the virtual name as SQLHOST.

So - for Instance1, virtual name server1, with shared data on drive X, backup script bkup.bch in X:\scripts\
Create policy SQL-inst1, client name: server1, Backup selection: X:\scripts\bkup.bch

Ensure forward and reverse lookup between master and virtual name(s) as well as media server and virtual name(s).

See chapter 7 of  SQL Server Admin Guide  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH127055:

"Using NetBackup for SQL Server with clustering solutions"

kayak_pc
Level 3
Partner Accredited Certified

Marianne, in this case what should be the value be in the netbackup client host field as shown below? 

Because there are 4 database and 3 servers, i am unable to enter 4 virtual names in the SQL Server Connection Properties Box. I tried entering 1 database virtual name into the host field and apply. The next time i tried to edit the SQL Connection Properties, dbbackup.exe will just crashed without allowing me to edit. 

any advice? 

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

You don't need to enter any username and password into that section. Just leave it blank. Select the virtual host, select the instance, and hit apply. Then go and create the BCH files. Then change the host again, select the other instance, create the BCH. Do that for all the host (adding the credentials). NetBackup will keep the login information and save it in the registry.