cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup7 VMware restores

Allan88
Level 3

I have backed up some virtual servers with flashback windows backup ,can i restore individual files from the restore vmdk file ? i have restored the complete server from this backup with no problems,but if i want to go down to individual files do i need to also take a ms-windows policy backup ?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

No, the FlashBackup for Windows policy with the FullMappedVM setting in the snapshot properties is sufficient to restore both full vmdk and individual files.

Allan88
Level 3

Many Thanks Riaan for your reply

I have MappedfullVM backup in the virtual machine parameter setting in the snapshot properties but when i go into the restore screen to look at the vmware backup all i can see is one vmdk file ,which i can use to restore the server successful,but i cannot see how to get into this file to restore individual files.do i need to view the restore from a different option ?

Thanks

RiaanBadenhorst

For Individual files

Select the type of restore, as follows:
■    For UNIX systems, on the Restore Files tab, select Normal Backups.
■    For Windows systems, click Files > Select Files and Folders to Restore > from Normal Backup

For vmdk's (which you're probably using already)

Select the type of restore:

■    For UNIX systems, on the Restore Files tab, select Restore type > Virtual
Machine Backups.
■    For Windows systems, click the down arrow on the Select for Restore option. Select Restore from Virtual Machine Backup. A restore window displays the backups available for restore.

Allan88
Level 3

Thanks again for your reply Riaan

The problem im having is we backup the virtual machine using flashback-windows option in the policy this means we dont need to use a windows client on the virtual server we are backing up. so when i come to restore the server that is no problem because there is a vdmk file and this restores the server successfully,but if i want to restore a single file there is no option to do this there is only one large file. and i cannot change to restore from a normal backup because i used a flashback-windows option in the policy.

The only way i can restore a single file is to backup using a MS-Windows policy but this needs an agent installing on the virtual server.

So my original question was

Can i restore individual files from the restore vmdk file ?

Thanks

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

Its is definitely possible, I've done it a hundred times. Even for a regular FlashBackup for Windows policy (not backing up a VM but a regular physical server) you can restore individual files. That is actually what the function of a FlashBackup policy is, its been around a long time, way before VM backups.

Did you change the "restore type" option as mentioned in the previous post?

Also, to restore individual files to the vm guest you need install the netbackup client in the guest.

You have to specify the destination client for the restore as the host name of the vm guest, not the VM display name or UUID , when you edit the "Specify NetBackup Machines and Policy type" attributes.

Allan88
Level 3

Hi,

I see in your last message your saying i need to install the netbackup client to the vm guest. I know that when i do this i will be able to see the individual files and will be able to restore them.My original question was running a backup without a client installed and only seeing a vmdk file in the restore screen and  can i also restore individual files.

So it looks like i also need to install a client onto the guest.

Many Thanks for your very useful help

jrohighavail
Level 1
Partner Accredited

Are you trying to restore a UNIX/Linux VM? Because it isn't yet possible to do file level restores of a Solaris x64 VM. Linux VMs support file level restores (with some caveats) under NBU 7.1 (which was recently released)

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH143312

explains that under 7.0/7.01 "For UNIX and Linux virtual machines, single file restore is not supported."

this restriction for Linux VMs is lifted under NBU 7.1 however still in place for Solaris VMs.