Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbacup Disk-to-disk-to-tape

Olssa
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi!

Today I have backup to disk and then a regular disk stage to tape. But I would like it to be:

Backup to Disk – Stage to another disk- duplicate to tape

The tape duplication should be read from the second disk so that there won’t be any backup jobs slowing the staging down.

Is this possible or are there a better way? Should I use SLP?

Rather new to netbackup so be gentle =)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Yes, you can do exactly that.

You can make multipl duplications eg ...

Backup

Duplication1

Duplicaton2 

So the first Duplication is made from the backup, and the secondd Duplication is made from the first Duplication.

Regards,

Martin

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

SLP would be perfet for that.

It is a licensable option though.

Martin

Olssa
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Then we just have to puchase it =)

But is it possible to configure that the second duplication duplicates from the second disk and not from the first?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Yes, you can do exactly that.

You can make multipl duplications eg ...

Backup

Duplication1

Duplicaton2 

So the first Duplication is made from the backup, and the secondd Duplication is made from the first Duplication.

Regards,

Martin

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

As the excellent advice above indicates an SLP is perfect for what you need and just requires the Enterprise Disk License (charged per front end TB)

However, you currently use disk staging which is basic disk and that cannot be used in a SLP

So you will need to rebuild you disk areas or add new disk volumes to be used as Advanced (Enterprise) Disk.

Where disk staging used a folder / directory Enterprise Disk uses a disk volume so an entire disk volume must be dedicated for its use.

After that the wizards will guide you through its setup and you will find it is far more efficient than disk staging

Hope this helps and clarifies things

Olssa
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Thanks for all your help! I'm going to test this as soon as i get the licenses!

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Do be careful if you are going to rebuild your existing disk to do the following:

1. Ensure all duplications are up to date so everything on disk has been duplicated

2. Put all policies on hold / deactivate them

3. Using the catalog in the Admin Console search for all images on the disk (either using the disk path of the Copy 1 option) and expire them

4. Check that the disk folder is now empty

5. delete the storage unit

6. delete the disk staging folder and ensure nothing else is on that drive

This ensure your catalog is cleaned before you set up your SLP

I would reccomend ticking the box for "capacity managed" on the disk backup in the SLP so that you keep as much as you can on disk

Dont forget to then change all of you policies / schedules to point to the new SLP

Also remeber that the retentions in schedules will no longer have any meaning so if you need different retentions create Daily, Weekly and Monthly SLPs and set the policy attributes to use say the Weekly one and then the Daily Schedule to override to use the Daily SLp and the Monthly schedule to override to use the Monthly SLP

Hope this helps