cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Mouse/KeyBoard after inserted the BMR Bootable disk in Hyper-V

Peterpan
Level 4

any one excountered this before that when you are trying to restore backup by mode of BMR when you boot up the disk the mouse and keyboard is not clickable or usable.

any idea please advise thanks.

Regards,

15 REPLIES 15

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

Refer this tech-note....

Thanks.

Mandar

Issue:

1.  BMR Restore on Hyper- V virtual machine fails to provide mouse or keyboard access in the restore environment.
  2. BMR Restore on Hyper-V virtual machine fails to detect a Virtual Hard disk.
  3. BMR Restore environment on Hyper-V virtual machine fails to detect the virtual network adapter.

Reason:  

On a Hyper-V virtual machine, BMR restore process needs to communicate with synthetic or emulated devices. The new architecture of synthetic devices with Hyper-V poses some unique challenges for system administrators. Without the integration components, users are required to move their VHD's around to the IDE controller, which limits the amount of VHD's that can be used at any given point in time. Additionally, legacy network adapters might need to be added to the VM to provide network access. Also the mouse and keyboard do not work.

However, by adding the integration components to a Windows PE image, those are no longer concerns. The Integration Components of Hyper-V are a set of drivers that are a significant performance change that you can apply to virtual machines for them to be able to install synthetic devices instead of emulated devices.

Some of the drivers that are installed using the Integration Components are: Video driver, network driver (with this you avoid using Hyper-V’s Legacy Network adapter), storage driver, VMBUS (transport for synthetic devices), time sync (time synchronization with the host), etc

Resolution:

1. Download and install the Windows Automated Installation Kit (AIK) 1.1 http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=94bb6e34-d890-4932-81a5-5b50c657de08&Displa...

Note: Size of WAIK is quite big. You can contact Symantec Support to get smaller and required footprint of this SDK.

2.   We need to extract two files from the c:\windows\system32\vmguest.iso file, which is part of Hyper-V RC1 (available at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=7EDAA89F-9F64-488D-93C0-858D2D8799DF).

You can also mount the ISO image in a VM and extract the files as well. We’re looking for two files. Copy the file that is appropriate for your architecture:

• 32 Bit: \support\x86\Windows6.0-KB951633-x86.msu
  • 64 Bit: \support\amd64\Windows6.0-KB951633-x64.msu

At times there are .CAB files present instead of the MSU. Copy the file  

that is appropriate for your architecture at a folder ---- MSUSOURCE

• Windows6.0-HyperVIntegrationServices-x86.cab
  • Windows6.0-HyperVIntegrationServices-x64.cab

3.  Create a directory by name “IC” on the same system you installed the AIK, and store the file(s) above there.

4. Expand the CAB file within the directory: %MSUSOURCE%\IC\Drivers

5. Copy the SRT WIM image SRT.WIM and SRT_x64.WIM to a temporary directory ---   PESOURCE

6. Create the folder where you are going to mount the WIM image. “C:\Temp\mount

7. Mount the WIM file using imagex tool:

imagex  /mountrw “%PESOURCE%\srt.wim” 1 “C:\Temp\mount”

imagex  /mountrw “%PESOURCE%\srt_x64.wim” 1 “C:\Temp\mount

8. Inject all drivers one by one using PEIMG tool considering the SRT and driver architecture:

peimg  /inf= %MSUSOURCE%\IC\Drivers\x86\*.inf /image=”C:\Temp\mount

peimg  /inf= %MSUSOURCE%\IC\Drivers\amd64\*.inf /image=”C:\Temp\mount

*.inf is representing all the previous drivers that we added above. Repeat the command line for each file.

9. Commit changes:

imagex /unmount /commit C:\Temp\mount.

Peterpan
Level 4

Where i can get the imagex tool?

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

It is available in the MS-WAIK SDK.

thanks.

mandar

Peterpan
Level 4

thanks for the information I will try this resolution and will give you feedback.

Peterpan
Level 4

please see attached screenshot for reference. upon booting up the boot cd i cannot capture the mouse

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

yes, this is the problem behavior. The tech-note would solve your problem.

thanks.

mandar

Peterpan
Level 4

We tried the solution that you provided but unfortunately still not working.

Peterpan
Level 4

Any other resolution?

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

I am wondering why this is not working for you. This was tested & published solution. Unfortunately there is no other solution known to me.

I would recommend you to raise a service ticket with Symantec on this problem.

thanks.

mandar

Peterpan
Level 4

ok thanks for the support. I will ask our vendor to do this.

Peterpan
Level 4

Hi Mandar,

would like to ask if the procedure is need to be done on the HOST VM?

given that there is no available OS on the VM guest.

please advise.

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

No. You need to do the given procedure on BMR boot server machine. Basically you need to update SRT.wim (BMR SRT) image and insert Hyper-V device driver into it which is downloaded and extraced from waik tool as mentioned.

You can locate your SRT wim file by looking to the srt properties and locate its file path. You can modify the same and insert drivers into it as mentioned.

thanks.

mandar

Peterpan
Level 4

sorry IM a newbie in NBU can you provide me the detailed procedure.

thanks

Suchitra
Level 4
Employee

Here are steps you need to perform on your SRT.

a) On your Windows BMR Bootserver, i.e the machine which hosts the SRTs, you will find the below two WIM files at

$InstallPath\NetBackup\BareMetal\server\data\srd.wim

$InstallPath\NetBackup\BareMetal\server\data\srd_x64.wim

If this is the first time you are creating SRTs, then these files need to be copied from the NetBackup CD layout ( Addons\BMRBS\$architecture\*.WIM ). Once copied you should find them under $InstallPath\NetBackup\BareMetal\server\data

b) Apply the steps mentioned my Mandar. You can also find the published note:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH159025

c) Now you need to  create a new BMR SRT and use this SRT for restoring any hyperV machine. Please note any of your older SRTs will not have the required integrated components.

Hope this helps.

Suchitra

sstepanenko
Level 3
I'm use HYPER-V 2012 and Netbackup 7.0.1. I'm make integration all HYPER-V drivers into winpe image. After this, my virtual machine not boot with error on boot storflt.sys (not boot winpe enviroment). Any resolve this?