cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non barcode tapes

Prafull_wipro
Level 2

Does library accepts non barcode tapes ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

It all depends on the make/model of your library. I know STK libraries don't.

Best to download the user guide for your library.

Even if it does, using non-barcoded media is not a good idea. NBU will add default labels starting with A000... and you will have to remember to add external hand-written label that matches the NBU label. 

When you take tapes out of the robot and return at a later stage, you need to remember not to perform 'normal' inventory because NBU will treat these unlabelled tapes as new and add new A00 id's. Instead, you need to remember to do a physical inventory from cmd with vmphinv.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Level 6

It all depends on the make/model of your library. I know STK libraries don't.

Best to download the user guide for your library.

Even if it does, using non-barcoded media is not a good idea. NBU will add default labels starting with A000... and you will have to remember to add external hand-written label that matches the NBU label. 

When you take tapes out of the robot and return at a later stage, you need to remember not to perform 'normal' inventory because NBU will treat these unlabelled tapes as new and add new A00 id's. Instead, you need to remember to do a physical inventory from cmd with vmphinv.

huanglao2002
Level 6

Are you use standalone drive or tape library base drive?

if you want to manager by your self ,you can use non barcode tapes .

If you use tape library drive,it's best use  barcode tapes.

Prafull_wipro
Level 2

Thanks for response guys

I just wanted to know whether it reads the tape or not since after inserting tape barcode is the address of that tape.

Nyways I got my answer. Thanks again.

Marianne
Level 6
Please mark the post that answered your query as Solution?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Always use tapes with bar codes. Bad mojo not to use. We have seen some very terrible example here at connect where administrators didn't use bar codes label.