cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number of tapes given the infinate retention per month?

Mark_Hill
Level 4
Hey guys, sorry for the flood of questions ;p (n00b alert)

Is there a way we can find the number of tapes created with an infinite retention in a calendar month?

We need to start monitoring our usage so we can plan some kind of intelligent ordering system for new tapes.

Has anyone found a way of doing this?

Thanks in advance.

Gib
6 REPLIES 6

Stumpr2
Level 6
Hello Mark,
This is NOT an RTFM reply but there are some helpful manuals available via the installation CD or download from:
http://www.symantec.com/enterprise/support/overview.jsp?pid=15143

A specific manual that will be of great value is the
Commands for Windows or
Commands for UNIX

They list each Netbackup command and its man page

Here is a helpful technote to help you to get familiar with some of the commands available

DOCUMENTATION: The command line equivalents for running the NetBackup reports available in the NetBackup user interface
http://support.veritas.com/docs/247902

I'm sorry I don't have enough time to throw together a simple script to spit out the exact request you are looking for. I do know that if you feed a person a fish that he will be hungry again the next day. Thats why I try to help teach otheres how to fish for themselves.

Enjoy!Message was edited by:
Bob Stump

Mark_Hill
Level 4
Thanks Bob, Thats all I wanted, was it possible and a shove in the right direction.

Ive just been given our NBU system to look after, its a bloody mess and I have practically no NBU knowledge so please forgive me if I seem to ba asking stupid questions, they arent stupid to me.
And believe me I do google before I post on here.

Cheers

Stumpr2
Level 6
No problem. I'm here to help.

My best advise to someone new is to stay away from the GUI's and learn the command line interface. NetBackup is VERY powerful and touches many elements in your infrastructure.

Specifically to this post did you check out the link I gave you to the technote? Here is a snippet:
Media Written Report
The Media Written report identifies volumes that were used for backups within the specified time period.
# cd /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd
# ./bpimagelist -A -media

Enjoy!Message was edited by:
Bob Stump

Mark_Hill
Level 4
Did I not add that I have no unix experience either. lol.

Yep, right in the deep end.

Thanks Bob

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
If you are having a difficult time trying to figure out something command line a very handy tool is to run the gui jnbSA with the -lc option. This will list out the commands that the Admin Console is running. It will tell you the name of the file and the path the just run tail -f /path/name.log. Very handy.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Geezer alert!
just reminiscing the days of xmotif and running the xbpadm -commands
sigh......