cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offline Catalog Backup Question

chrisa72
Level 4
I currently have a NBU master server on RHEL 5 with a Windows 2003 media server. I can't use hot catalog backup for reasons I won't go into here, so I have to use offline catalog backup.
I've used the Catalog backup wizard to set this up and chosen the media server as the media server to send the data to, as it is connected to the tape library. I've entered the files from both the master and media server in the list of catalog files to be backed up, but the catalog backup only backs up catalog files from the media server.
How do I configure the catalog backup to backup the catalog from both the master and media servers?
7 REPLIES 7

RameshG
Level 3
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi Chrisa,

Refer the document ID for, How to configure Hot Catalog Backups with Veritas NetBackup (tm) 6.0

The NetBackup catalog resides on the disk of the NetBackup master server. The catalog consists of the following parts:

-Image database: The image database contains information about what has been backed up. It is by far the largest part of the catalog.

-NetBackup data that is stored in relational databases: The data includes media and volume data describing media usage and volume information, which is used during the backups.

-NetBackup configuration files: The configuration files include flat files concerning policy and schedule information.

For more information on Netbackup Catalog, please refer "Netbackup Admin Guide for UNIX-I" Chapter 6 - Netbackup Catalog.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
There are no catalogs on NBU 6.x media servers. Everything resides on the master/emm server.
Offline, cold catalog backups are explained in NBU Admin Guide I on page 279 and 291.
"Parts of the catalog" is explained on page 272 of the same manual.

chrisa72
Level 4
Thanks Marianne and RameshG. The issue is that I have to nominate the media server for the offline catalog backup to tape, because of that the client named in the Catalog Backup backup job is the media server, not the master server.
I'll play around with the config and see what I can find.
It is backing up around 56MB of data from the media server, just for interest....

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
your entries in the Files tape should like something like this
 (where Master=your master server)
(where media=your media server)

Master:/usr/openv/netbackup/db
Master:/usr/openv/volmgr/database
Media:/usr/openv/netbackup/db
Media:/usr/openv/volmgr/database

you need to read the manual for your version of NetBackup to see what files you need to backup to your catalog tape.

(if you just say  /usr/openv/netbackup/db  then it will only backup from the media server that is doing the catalog tape).

Srikanth_Gubbal
Level 6
Certified
but if you are planning to perfrom a redirected offline catalog backup for master server using media server, everytime you fire backup on media server ensure that you dont perfrom any backup jobs on  master server.. since you are not using the catalog backup policy provided by netbackup, it does not offline the database automatically..

even i recoommed a different way, schedule cold catalog backup policy on master server, and move the data locally, backup that data to tape using media server point master server as client.

chrisa72
Level 4
Thanks for your help all, I'm going to try an alternative method i.e. using a script with backupdb in it instead. Hopefully this will do the trick.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Please post output of 'bpsyncinfo -L'

The default is something like this:

Paths Included:
    /usr/openv/netbackup/db
    /usr/openv/volmgr/database
    /usr/openv/var
    <master>:NETBACKUP_RELATIONAL_DATABASE_FILES

If you have a media server doing the backup, you should add <master>: before each path.