cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle is not visible on oracle client java backup GUI

Andicomposa
Level 4

Dear all,

Recently i installed netbackup client on one of my oracle client, The problem is i cant open oracle database as it is not installed on the client oracle server. With error could not connect, so i cant create oracle template.

If there is anything i miss please let me know, as i am new to netbackup.

Thank You.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Will_Restore
Level 6

When install and link oracle client on server 1 on the cluster it works fine and i can see oracle on the backup restore GUI also i can create templates which work fine.

In the case of Server 2 on the cluster even after linking to oracle database i cant see installed oracle database, which the netbackup client assumes there is no oracle installed on the server.

The other thing that i cant understand is i can backup the database when server 2  take over the cluster as active node using the virtual name.

sounds like expected behaviour for active/passive.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Dipendra_Singh
Level 4

Have you installed netbackup for oracle agent......???? this is mandatory to backup oracle DB in netbackup for UNIX.....

Andicomposa
Level 4

Thanks for your reply

I am installing Netbackup 7.0 master and client servers, which mean i dont need to install oracle agent separately on oracle client.

Andicomposa
Level 4

Please, any one with idea?

Will_Restore
Level 6

Oracle server software requirements for NetBackup for Oracle

Verify the following regarding the Oracle server software on the NetBackup server or client:

Oracle server software must be installed and operational.

One or more Oracle instances must exist.

To use NetBackup for Oracle, add a valid license key for it on the master server.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You did not mention the OS on the client?

If Unix/Linix, did you run oracle_link?

I am battling to understand this statement - please help me to understand?  "i cant open oracle database as it is not installed on the client oracle server."  What is not installed ? Oracle?

Link to NBU for Oracle Guide that Bill mentioned above:

Oracle Admin Guide UNIX,Linux  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH127053
Oracle Admin Guide for Windows  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH127052

Andicomposa
Level 4

I think i dont define my case correctly.

I have one oracle client running on Sun cluster with two hardwares acting as active and passive.

So installed netbackup client on both hardwares and i use thair virtual name to backup the oracle database.

There is no name resolution or connection problem's virtual name or virtual ip address.

Problem:

When install and link oracle client on server 1 on the cluster it works fine and i can see oracle on the backup restore GUI also i can create templates which work fine.

In the case of Server 2 on the cluster even after linking to oracle database i cant see installed oracle database, which the netbackup client assumes there is no oracle installed on the server.

The other thing that i cant understand is i can backup the database when server 2  take over the cluster as active node using the virtual name.

Andicomposa
Level 4

Please guys any thing ???????????

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have you seen the following in the manual that I've posted above?

To start the NetBackup Backup, Archive, and Restore interface
1 Use operating system methods to log into the client upon which NetBackup for Oracle is installed.
2 Make sure that the Oracle database is in the mount or open state.

So, the GUI will only work on the Active node.

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

NetBackup checks /etc/oratab to find oracle instances installed on the host.

Will_Restore
Level 6

sounds like expected behaviour for active/passive.