Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Persistent naming with IBM Tape driver

adrian_k
Not applicable

NetBackup V 6 MP5

Windows 2003 server

I intend to use the IBM Tape driver 6217 non exclusive mode for IBM LTO3 and LTO4 devices. I am also intending setting the registry entry to enable persistent naming so that the devices are named as \\.\Tape4801101 etc..  instead of \\.\Tape0

Has anyone configured netbackup V6 with the ibm tape driver using the persistent naming? I'm wondering if netbackup will recognise the new tape symbolic names and configure them correctly when i run the device wizard. Will the drive index show as 4801101 and so forth?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

INT_RND
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Which ever naming convention you decide on you will run in to problems with NetBackup V6 MP5 and support will not help you. Please upgrade your environment to a more recent version of Netbackup. There are many known issues with the version you are running. The only fix is upgrading.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Netbackup should be fine with what ever the OS passes to it.

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

The drive index is a number, but you can choose/change the drive name either through the Netbackup GUI or the tpconfig command.

If you want be sure the drives always have the same SCSI id, you need to use persistent binding in the HBAs

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Question: Why do you want to configure persistent naming?
I have never seen this as a requirement or any document of how to use/configure it with NetBackup.

NetBackup needs Persistent Binding to be configured which is an HBA function.

The only documentation I can find is for TSM:  '... how to use persistent names to configure IBM libraries and tape drives for the Tivoli Storage Manager server running on Windows.' 
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21664260 

INT_RND
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Which ever naming convention you decide on you will run in to problems with NetBackup V6 MP5 and support will not help you. Please upgrade your environment to a more recent version of Netbackup. There are many known issues with the version you are running. The only fix is upgrading.