cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Physical memory slowly being used - nbsl process hang?

Toddman214
Level 6

Windows 2008r2 Master Server, with twin 2008r2 Media servers, each with 48gb ram, and 16 cpu's

Hello all,

There is an issue with one of my two windows media servers, that causes the physical memory to be fully used up over the course of approximately 1 month. When I run RamMap or check resourse monitor on each, the problem server shows that the NBSL process is using a ton of resources, and does not appear to be releasing them back to the system. It is using 10x as many resources as the next highest process in line. It slowly climbs and uses up more of the physical memory every day by 2 to 3%, until it hits 100% physical memory usage, which of course, kills any backups to that server (of which there are many), and the server completely locks. I cannot even log in with local admin rights when it does this, and has to be rebooted. Has anyone out there experienced anything like this with a netbackup process, that just slowly eats up memory?

For grins one day (since the memory was at 97% anyway), I ran a bpdown and bpup to restart processes, to see what effect this had on ram. The ram dropped a little bit, but just slowly climbed back up to 100% and locked up.

Thank you!,

Todd  

6 REPLIES 6

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

hi,

could you let us know the verion of Netbackup with maintance pack?

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Assuming you are at 7.5.0.4, you may want to open a support case and reference this thread and Etrack 3018058.  I haven't heard of these problems in Windows, but we'd love to get a look at your nbsl logs and see if we have an EEB which will fix things for you until 7.5.0.5 comes out.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Do you do VMWare backups?

There is a semaphore memory leak on Unix that causes a similar thing but not sure about WIndows

Worth mentioning semaphore when speaking to support

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Don't forget to send your netbackup\bin\support\nbsu  output that is logged in netbackup\bin\support\output\nbsu\ directory to support too, will speed things up.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

revaroo was so excited to be adding to this thread he forgot to mention that we actually need ...

nbsu -c -t 

Martin  ;o)

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

revaroo was so excited to be adding to this thread he forgot to mention that we actually need ...

nbsu -c -t 

Martin  ;o)