cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help! unsuccessful restore of a client server

itgurl
Level 2
to all netbackup gurus please help me.

we are doing a restoration of files from the unix server, serverA. this server was initially configured as SAN media server sharing drives with media server, bkpsvr1d, using a SL8500 library. but for some other reason, which im not aware of, this server was now backed up as a client server using the master server, bkpsvr1p, using L700e library. the media server, bkpsvr1d and master server, bkpsvr1p servers are located on different sites.

now the problem starts when we did a restore of yesterday's backup wherein serverA was configured as client. but when we initiated for a restore, the media server being called is bkpsvr1d and not bkpsvr1p. pls help on what to do.

i believe this would be the first time that they will be performing a restore after they changed it.

i tried querying if the drives are still configured on serverA using vmoprcmd but no more drives shown and ltid daemon not running. i have also checked the bp.conf but the SERVER=serverA entry had already been commented out.

the backup on this server were successful as client. but why when im restoring, its calling the wrong media server. it should be bkpsvr1p but the one called is bkpsvr1d.

please help..
3 REPLIES 3

Tim_O_Brien_2
Level 4
I believe you need to change your  settings on your Master Server to account for the change in the media server. For Windows it is <Master Server Name> --> Properties -->  General Server and change orginal backup server to new restore server. Using windows it is very easy but I'm sure with awesome Unix you need to use some annoying commany line that will take a few weeks to correctly get the syntax right.

EST
Level 3
Partner
Hello,

sounds like the SAN media server was decomm and now just a client.   you might also find in the bp.conf file maybe at the bottom "FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER = old_server new_server" < you need this for restores from the new media server.  The old media needs to be assigned to the new media server.
The media might have been assigned to another server - so check what server the media is assigned to.  The Tape drives that the old Media server had may have been removed as well.
Have you browsed over the Media manager guide below on page 366?

VERITAS NetBackup™ 6.0 Media Manager
System Administrator’s Guide
for UNIX and Linux

itgurl
Level 2
thanks for all who replied.

actually, after thoroughly checking the bp.conf on master, we found that there's an entry

FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_RESTORE = bkpsvr1p bkpsvr1d

we have commented it out and reread the config after that restoration worked.

well we also modified the bp.conf on the client server side.