cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Policy consolidation

MikeM11
Level 4

Hi

I am looking for a solution to enable me to reduce the number of policies currently in operation in my NetBackup 7.1 for Windows environment:

I need to backup a common folder name that can be presented on different drive letters according to the Client e.g.

Client 1 - R:\Folder1\

Client 2 - S:\Folder1\

Client 3 - S:\Folder1\

Client 4 - T:\Folder1\

All clients involved are Windows.  To add complication I need to achieve this whilst avoiding Status 1 exit codes created when a Client cannot locate a specified path (Management reporting) and also want to keep individual Client administration to a minimum.

I have one policy currently with 3 clients backing up 3 drive letters where each client has an exclude list which mitigates the other 2 file selections.  If this is the only way to do it then sobeit but would like to find a better way if possible.

Symantec support have confirmed that the use of wild cards for drive letters is not supported which would have been nice.

Many thanks, Mike

11 REPLIES 11

tom_sprouse
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

1) Create a test Policy / Schedule

2) Add your all 4 clients 

3) Add all 4 Backup Selections

• R:\Folder1\
  • S:\Folder1\
  • S:\Folder2\
  • T:\Folder1\

4) Ensure Multiple Data Streams is not enabled. (Needs to be disabled)

Allow the job to execute - and it should complete with a status 0. (Not a Status 1, as you expected)

--Tom

Amaan
Level 6

i guess some of the jobs will fail with error 71. For instance client 1 will not have T:\ drive even if the folder name is same, until unless you exclude it as you said.

Correct me if i am wrong.

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee

Abdulloh is right if you configure a single policy you will expirience many 71's, but if you change the entries to ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES with Multiple Streams enabled you will get every drive under each box in a different backup job, but if you want to get granular and do this by folder name, than different policies may be required.

Regards.

MikeM11
Level 4

Tom,

This is something I have not tested yet so I shall be making these changes over the next couple of days and will report back.

Many thanks, Mike

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Just a thought ....

1. Set each client to use a specific service account

2. Map or set a mount point to the folders you want to back up for that account - so you have:

R:\Folder1\  - mapped to Z:\ or mounted to c:\mounts\
S:\Folder1\ - mapped to Z:\ or mounted to c:\mounts\
S:\Folder2\ - mapped to Z:\ or mounted to c:\mounts\
T:\Folder1\    - mapped to Z:\ or mounted to c:\mounts\

3. Set policy to back up the Z drive (or C:\mounts) and to cross mount points or back up network drives in the attribures tab.

Needs to use a client service to get mappings to be valid

Hope this helps

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I realize that I am digging up an old. nearly-dead discussion - just have to add my 2c as this has turned into a massive problem at a customer....

Tom Sprouse is obviously 100% correct over here: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/policy-consolidation-0#comment-6597411

NBU 6.x and earlier would fail with status code 71.
NBU 7.x exits with status code 0.

My problem with this behaviour is that backup admin enters folder names received from server owner:

• R:\Folder1\
  • S:\Fodler1\
  • S:\Folder2\
  • T:\Folder1\

Backup exists with status 0. Everyone is happy.

A week later, system owner asks for restore of S:\Folder1\fileA.

Backup admin cannot find any backup for S:\Folder1\ .
He checks backup job. Status 0.
Checks backup selection, sees the typo error.
Logs call with us - why status 0 when a folder is skipped? Surely this is DATA LOSS situation?
We log a call with Symantec Support.
Verdict: The product is functioning as intended. This is not a bug.

StefanosM
Level 6

This is something that I - as netbackup trainer - give attention and I do not prosed unless I' sure that all my students have understand what is going on.

This behaviour is by designe and it is not a bug.

Bottom line:  DO NOT TRUST YOUR EYES. It is better to select the files/folders one by one with browse.

stefanos

Marianne
Level 6

Agree. But not exactly feasibly in a large environment with hundreds or thousands of clients.... and thousands of jobs every night....

So, we need to be able to trust our PRODUCT....

StefanosM
Level 6

I agree with you. the job should exit with code 1 and not 0.

Marianne
Level 6

My sentiment exactly! 

In this particular thread the behaviour is punted as a FEATURE.

We have logged a request for enhancement via Product Management. Will be happy with status 1.

MikeM11
Level 4

Thank you to everyone who has contributed on this thread.  You help has been very much appreciated.

In the end I have opted for the tried and tested method of adding all the backup selections in at the policy level i.e. R:\Folder1; S:\Folder1; T:\Folder1 and as they are Windows Clients, using the exclude list to ignore the irrelevant selections.  Not ideal as the detailed status still complains about them but there are no failures and nothing in the Problem Report.

Regards, Mike